||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Julien Dupré (Dupre)|
March 18, 1851
|Died||April 16, 1910
|Notable work||The White Cow, Faucheurs de Luzerne, La Recolte des Foins|
|Movement||French Academic, Realism|
|Awards||Legion of Honor, 1892|
Julien Dupré (March 18, 1851 – April 16, 1910) was a French painter.
He was born in Paris on March 18, 1851 to Jean Dupré (a jeweler) and Pauline Bouillié and began his adult life working in a lace shop in anticipation of entering his family's jewelry business. The war of 1870 and the siege of Paris forced the closure of the shop and Julien began taking evening courses at the Ecole des Arts Décoratifs and it was through these classes that he gained admission to the École des Beaux-Arts.
At l'Ecole he studied with Isidore Pils (1813–1875) and Henri Lehmann (1814–1882). In the mid-1870s he traveled to Picardy and became a student of the rural genre painter Désiré François Laugée (1823–1896), whose daughter Marie Eléonore Françoise he would marry in 1876; the year he exhibited his first painting at the Paris Salon.
Works in public collections
- The Hay Harvest (1881) - Chi Mei Museum, Tainan, Taiwan (R.O.C.).
- Haying Scene (1884) - St. Louis Art Museum, St. Louis, Missouri.
- The Haymakers (1886) - Worcester Art Museum, Worcester, Massachusetts.
- Return From the Fields (n.d.) - Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha, Nebraska.
- In Pasture (1882) - Washington University Art Gallery, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Haying Scene (1882) - Washington University Art Gallery, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Young Woman Watering Cattle - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Haymaking (1892) - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Children Feeding Geese (1881) - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Peasant Girl with Sheep - The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, California.
- Milking Time - The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, California.
- Women in the Fields - Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick, Maine.
- The Young Shepherdess - San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego, California.
- In the Pasture (1883) - University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington. Kentucky.
- Le Ballon (1886) - Reading Public Museum and Art Gallery, Reading, Pennsylvania.
- The Harvesters (1885) - The Appleton Museum of Art, Ocala, Florida.
- The Harvester (c.1880/1) - Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, W.V.
- Home From the Pasture - Columbia Museum of Art, Columbia, South Carolina.
- Woman Harvesting Hay (n.d.) - Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Julien Dupré.|