Jumādā al-Awwal (Arabic: جُمَادَىٰ الْأَوَّل), also known as Jumādā al-Ūlā (Arabic: جُمَادَىٰ الْأُولَىٰ Jumādā al-Ūlā) or Jumada Ⅰ, is the fifth month of the 12 lunar months in the Islamic calendar. The month spans 29 or 30 days.
The origin of the name is theorized by some as denoting dry, parched land, hence the dry months. However, this is rejected by some as it is a lunar month, which does not coincide with seasons as solars months do.
- Abu Hurairah said that the Prophet said:
There will be an Ayah (sign) in (the month of) Ramadan. Then, there will 'isabah (splitting into groups) in Shawwal. Then, there will be fighting in (the month of) Dhu al-Qi'dah. Then, the pilgrim will be robbed in (the month of) Dhu al-Hijjah. Then, the prohibitions will be violated in (the month of) al-Muharram. Then, there will be sound in (the month of) Safar, then the tribes will conflict with each other in the two months of Rabi' al-awwal & Rabi' al-thani. Then, the most amazing thing will happen between (the months of) Jumada and Rajab. Then, a well-fed she-camel will be better than a fortress (castle) sheltering a thousand (people).
The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, and months begin when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted. Since the Islamic lunar calendar year is 11 to 12 days shorter than the solar year, Jumada al-Awwal migrates backwards throughout the seasons, during a cycle of about 33 solar years. The estimated start and end dates for Jumada al-Awwal are as follows (based on the Umm Al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia):
|AH||First day (CE / AD)||Last day (CE / AD)|
|1437||10 February 2016||9 March 2016|
|1438||29 January 2017||27 February 2017|
|1439||18 January 2018||16 February 2018|
|1440||7 January 2019||5 February 2019|
|1441||27 December 2019||25 January 2020|
|1442||16 December 2020||13 January 2021|
|Jumada al-Awwal dates between 2016 and 2021|
- On 5 Jumada al-Awwal, Zainab bint Ali was born.
- On 8th Jumada al-Awwal, URS Sayyid Amir al-Kulal (RA) Amir Kulal
- On 10 Jumada al-Awwal 11AH, Fatima bint Muhammad (Fatima al-Zahra) beloved daughter of Prophet Muhammad died in Medina at the young age of 18 years according to Shia Muslim sources.
- On 12 Jumada al-Awwal 1188, the Ottoman Empire signed the Treaty of Küçük Kaynarca which gave Russia jurisdiction over Christians in the empire
- On 13 Jumada al-Awwal 11AH, Fatima bint Muhammad was buried by her husband Ali
- On 15 Jumada al-Awwal, Ali ibn Husayn (Zayn al-Abideen) was born.
- On 20 Jumada al-Awwal 857, Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II conquered Constantinople