Logo from the 1995 film.
|Created by||Chris Van Allsburg|
|Films and television|
|Soundtrack(s)||Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle|
The franchise follows the adventures of various people who find themselves imperiled when playing a magic board game called Jumanji that will either trap players within its dangerous jungle world or unleash its menaces into the real world. Ultimately, the only way to end the disruptions is to finish the game while enduring its resulting dangers with each succeeding move, after which everything is restored to normal outside of the players' memories.
- 1 Books
- 2 Films
- 3 Television
- 4 Characters
- 5 Crew
- 6 Reception
- 7 References
Two children, Peter and Judy, find and play a game in which each roll of the dice brings the jungle from the game (as well as the creatures that live in it) to life around them. In order to reset the world around them, they must finish the game. Afterward, they get rid of the game which is found by their next-door neighbors, two young brothers.
Brothers Danny and Walter, neighbors of Peter and Judy from the previous book, find Jumanji but ultimately choose not to play it. Instead, they find a similar game with a space theme, "Zathura", which they begin to play. As with Jumanji, playing Zathura brings elements of the game into reality, and in order to set everything back to normal, the boys must complete the game.
Two children find and play a magical board game. In doing so, they release a man trapped for decades in it and a host of dangers that can only be stopped by finishing the game.
Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005)
Two young brothers are drawn into an intergalactic adventure when their house is hurled through the depths of space by the magical board game they are playing. Furthermore, the brothers surmise the only way to return home is to finish the game.
Though there are no direct references in Zathura to the other films, and the movie's plot is completely self-contained, the studio marketed it as being set in the world of Jumanji, and was thematically similar. The film is based on the children's book Zathura, also written by Van Allsburg which was a sequel to the Jumanji source material.
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)
Twenty-one years after the events of the original film, the board game evolves into a video game. Four teenagers who are transported to the game's jungle setting and become the avatars of the characters they chose, and later discover another victim trapped in the game as well. The only way out is to complete the game, and in doing so, they each discover the best of themselves and win with a newfound heroism to see the challenge through. This film serves as a sequel to the 1995 film.
Untitled Jumanji film (2019)
Following the release of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, the film's cast discussed in interviews what a potential third Jumanji could be about. Karen Gillan also stated that an alternate ending left the door open for another movie, but that the scene was removed from the final cut of the film. In February 2018, it was announced that a third Jumanji film is in production with Kasdan returning to direct and Rosenberg and Pinkner returning to write the film, respectively. The stars of Welcome to the Jungle are expected to reprise their roles. The film is slated to be released December 13, 2019.
- A Y indicates the actor portrayed the role of a younger version of the character.
- An O indicates a role as an older version of the character.
- An A indicates a role as a video game avatar of the character.
- A V indicates the actor or actress lent only his or her voice for his or her film character.
- A C indicates a cameo appearance.
- A dark gray cell indicates the character was not in the film.
A Space Adventure
Welcome to the Jungle
|Alan Parrish||Robin WilliamsO||Referenced only||Bill FagerbakkeV|
|Judith "Judy" Shepherd||Kirsten Dunst||Debi DerryberryV|
|Peter Shepherd||Bradley Pierce||Ashley JohnsonYV|
|Sarah Whittle||Bonnie HuntO|
|Laura Bell BundyY|
|Van Pelt||Jonathan Hyde||Sherman HowardV|
|Carl Bentley||David Alan Grier||Richard AllenV|
|Nora Shepherd||Bebe Neuwirth||Melanie ChartoffV|
|Samuel Parrish||Jonathan Hyde|
|Danny Budwing||Jonah Bobo|
|Lisa Budwing||Kristen Stewart|
|Mr. Budwing||Tim RobbinsC|
|Dr. Smolder Bravestone||Dwayne JohnsonA|
|Professor Sheldon "Shelly" Oberon||Jack BlackA|
|Franklin "Mouse" Finbar||Kevin HartA|
|Ruby Roundhouse||Karen GillanA|
|Spencer Gilpin||Alex Wolff|
|Bethany Walker||Madison Iseman|
|Anthony "Fridge" Johnson||Ser'Darius Blain|
|Martha Kaply||Morgan Turner|
|Russel Van Pelt||Bobby Cannavale|
|Alex Vreeke||Mason GussioneY|
|Jefferson "Seaplane" McDonaugh||Nick JonasA|
|Nigel Billingsley||Rhys Darby|
A Space Adventure
Welcome to the Jungle
|Untitled Jumanji film|
|Director||Joe Johnston||Jon Favreau||Jake Kasdan|
|Michael De Luca
Chris Van Allsburg
by Chris Van Allsburg
by Chris Van Allsburg
|Composer||James Horner||John Debney||Henry Jackman|
|Director of photography||Thomas E. Ackerman||Guillermo Navarro||Gyula Pados|
|Editor(s)||Robert Dalva||Dan Lebental||Mark Helfrich
|Production companies||Interscope Communications
|Michael De Luca Productions
|Matt Tolmach Productions
Seven Bucks Productions
|Distributor||TriStar Pictures||Columbia Pictures|
|Running time||104 minutes||101 minutes||119 minutes|
|Release date||December 15, 1995||November 11, 2005||December 20, 2017||December 13, 2019|
Box office performance
|Film||Release date||Box office gross||Budget|
|Jumanji||December 15, 1995||$100,475,249||$162,322,000||$262,797,249||$65 million|
|Zathura: A Space Adventure||November 11, 2005||$29,258,869||$35,062,632||$64,321,501||$65 million|
|Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle||December 20, 2017||$404,515,480||$557,562,066||$962,077,546||$90 million|
|Total||$ 534,249,598||$ 754,946,698||$ 1,289,196,296||$220 million|
Critical and public response
|Jumanji||53% (36 reviews)||39 (18 reviews)||A-|
|Zathura: A Space Adventure||75% (159 reviews)||67 (30 reviews)||B+|
|Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle||77% (209 reviews)||58 (43 reviews)||A-|
- Rob Keyes. "Nick Jonas Has A Funny Idea For The Next Jumanji Sequel". Screen Rant.
- Matt Dolloff. "Jack Black Has A Great Idea For Jumanji 3". Screen Rant.
- Christopher Isaac. "Here's Who Jumanji's Stars Want to See in Jumanji 3". Screen Rant.
- Chris Evangelista. "The 'Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle' Cast Have 'Jumanji 3' Ideas, Plus an Alternate Ending for the New Sequel". Slash Film.
- "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Writers Returning For Sequel". 6 February 2018.
- Harp, Justin (April 24, 2018). "Dwayne Johnson's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle sequel drops first teaser as US release date is confirmed". Digital Spy.
- Fullerton, Huw (December 20, 2017). "There's a touching tribute to Robin Williams in the new Jumanji film". Radio Times. Immediate Media Company. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- "Jumanji". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Zathura (2005)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Jumanji (1995)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Metacritic Review - Jumanji". Metacritic. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "CinemaScore". CinemaScore. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Zathura (2005)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 30, 2009.
- "Zathura: A Space Adventure". Metacritic. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Metacritic Review - Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle". Metacritic. Retrieved December 20, 2017.