Type of site
|Online dating service|
|Alexa rank||3,804,558 (April 2014[update])|
Jumpdates is an English-language online dating website launched in 2001. Although no other language versions are available at this time, the service is meant to operate worldwide and allows registration from any country in the world except for a few exceptions. jumpdates is a 100% free online dating service.
The website is specifically a free dating site catering to an audience looking for an internet platform for meeting and communicating with other like minded individuals in the area of Online Dating. Around that time, other sites were making a mark, most notably Match.com, Udate.com and Kiss.com. Match.com later acquired Udate.com who acquired Kiss.com. At that time, there were a few up and coming free dating sites available such as Matchdoctor.com and TriStateDating.com with the latter being dropped a few years later.
The steady growth in the early part of 2000 resulted in many other types of businesses sprouting up to support the increasing online dating business. These sites included link farms and affiliate marketing websites that offered traffic in exchange for a fixed fee or a fee based on the number of sign-ups to the dating sites.
Jumpdates is a dating site that is free to users who sign up to the website and use some of the internal services for finding and communicating with other members of the site. This is typical of many other online dating sites, and there are usually two types of dating site business models deployed by these sites. The subscription based model such as Match.com and Eharmony.com requires a monthly subscription from the members in order to message and communicate with other members of the site. The free dating site model allows free communication between members without a fee and their revenue is typically derived from the contextual advertisements positioned around the website.
Jumpdates allows heterosexual and same-sex dating and there are no other constraints such as religion, ethnicity, beliefs etc. During the sign-up process, the user is asked to provide personal information such as gender, appearance details, the partner they are looking for as well as a short description of himself or herself and person they are seeking. After confirming registration by e-mail, the user is granted access to the following features:
- Member home page with access to features including Messaging, Photos, Edit Profile, Search, Forum & Blog and Activity Meter
- Message Section - here members can contact any other member
- Edit Profile Section - a more detailed section requiring users to add more information about themselves such as looks, personality, character, interests, drive, education etc.
- Search Section - here members can search by gender, age, location, personal details and last online activity and has other features such as saving the current search to use for a later date
- Personalized Control - members have control over how other users can search for them, block members, allow certain members, report on abusive members etc.
- Photograph Access - members can upload multiple photos and organize them according to their taste (hidden, private, public)
- Facebook Integration - recently Jumpdates has introduced some Facebook integration features allowing members to sign up with their Facebook profile, upload Facebook photos, use Facebook to post and respond in forum and chat
- Other features - hide, disable or delete your profile at will
- In its new series Jumpdates has started reviewing some of the top Hollywood movies on love and relationship
Privacy has been an issue with many dating sites and in particular a challenge for the free dating sites. A recent occurrence of an attack on the plentyoffish site only highlights this point. The Jumpdates site reports to have implemented extensive anti-spam mechanisms aimed at protecting the members as well as securing server based technology to enhance back-door security.
- "Jumpdates.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- "jumpdates - "About" page". Archived from the original on 2012-03-24. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- "Web Age History - "Archive" page". Archived from the original on 2011-06-15. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "onlinepersonalswatch.com - 2010 Internet Dating Conference Highlights".
- "jumpdates - dating and blog articles".
- "The top free dating sites online; and JumpDates". 2011-05-04. Archived from the original on 2011-05-18.
- Hacked accounts - http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/01/plentyoffish-com-hacked-blames-messenger/