June Mendoza was born in Melbourne, Australia. Her parents, John Morton and Dot (née Mendoza), were both musicians, performers and composers in violin and piano respectively, her younger brother Peter Mendoza (born 1927) was an actor most notably with JC Williamsons in Australia and repertory theatre in England. As a child she toured with her mother, working in small mime parts and crowd scenes for the opera, ballet, musicals and revue. During these tours she started sketching in her spare time. She realised that art was her calling at age 12 and commenced life classes at 14 and portraiture eventually became her forte.
In 1960 she married Keith Mackrell, whom she accompanied on two overseas postings, 1960-65 in the Philippines and 1969-73 in Australia. They have 4 children.
Mendoza's commissions have included portraits of royalty (such as Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, Diana, Princess of Wales), prime ministers (Margaret Thatcher, John Major, Corazon Aquino, Goh Chok Tong, John Gorton) and other politicians, sports people, military officers and celebrities.
Her works are in a number of collections, including those of Britannia Royal Naval College, Girton College, Cambridge, the Green Howards Regimental Museum, the National Portrait Gallery (three works), the Open University, the Palace of Westminster, Queens' College, Cambridge, the Royal Scots Museum, and Trinity College, Oxford.
She is an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO), Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE), and a member of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters (ROI) and of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters (RP). She is an Honorary Vice President of the Britain-Australia Society. She is a Patron of the Tait Memorial Trust. An Australian performing arts charity based in London.
- Portrait Painting in Oil With June Mendoza OBE RP ROI (DVD). Town House Films.
- Pikitia Press. Retrieved 12 September 2015
- Lange, Oliver (November 2000). "June Mendoza - Body Language". The Artist.
- "June Mendoza - website". Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Video: Queen's Diamond Jubilee interview: The royal portrait painter". The Daily Telegraph. 22 May 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Portrait Artist June Mendoza - Information". June Mendoza. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "National Portrait Gallery - Person - June Mendoza". National Portrait Gallery. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "June Mendoza - Paintings". Art UK. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Desert Island Discs - Castaway : June Mendoza". BBC Online. BBC. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Roy Francis Plomley by June Mendoza". Art UK. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- It's an Honour: AO. Retrieved 12 September 2015
- "June Mendoza". Royal Institute of Oil Painters. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 July 2016. Retrieved 25 July 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)