|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Llandaff|
|Church||Church in Wales|
|Diocese||Diocese of Llandaff|
|In office||14 July 2017 – present|
|Consecration||15 July 2017
by John Davies
10 June 1953 |
June Osborne, DL (born 10 June 1953) is a British Anglican bishop. Since July 2017, she has served as the Bishop of Llandaff. Between 2004 and 2017, she served as the Dean of Salisbury, and was the first woman to head one of England's medieval cathedrals. In April 2017, it was announced that she would be the next Bishop of Llandaff in the Church in Wales; she was confirmed on 14 July and consecrated the 72nd Bishop of Llandaff on 15 July 2017.
Osborne was born on 10 June 1953 in Manchester, England. She attended Manchester University, where she studied social sciences. She had begun studying law until she felt "the hand of Heaven" and decided to study for the ministry. She trained at St John's College, Nottingham and at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford.
Osborne was ordained to the priesthood in 1994, one of the first women to be ordained in England. There was much discussion at the previous year's Church General Synod as to whether or not to ordain female priests. The Times attributed Osborne's speech at the synod "for swinging the General Synod vote in favour of female priests".
She moved in the following year to Salisbury, where she served as Canon Treasurer until her appointment as Dean. She was Dean of Salisbury from 1 May 2004 until July 2017. She was the first woman to serve as a Dean at Salisbury Cathedral and the first at any of England's medieval cathedrals. She had served as acting dean since the retirement of her predecessor, Derek Watson, in 2002.
On 27 April 2017, it was announced that Osborne would be the next Bishop of Llandaff in the Church in Wales. Her election was confirmed at a Sacred Synod meeting on 14 July 2017, whereby she legally took up her new post. She was consecrated a bishop on 15 July 2017 by John Davies, Bishop of Swansea and Brecon, during a service at Brecon Cathedral. She was installed as the 72nd Bishop of Llandaff during a service at Llandaff Cathedral on 22 July.
- Who's Who 2012 – OSBORNE, June
- BBC - Wiltshire - Faith in Wiltshire - Cathedral installs its first woman Dean
- Interview: Superior mother - Times Online
- "Consecration of the Bishop of Llandaff". Church in Wales. 17 July 2017. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Salisbury Cathedral – People at the Cathedral
- News Archive - Salisbury Cathedral
- Kinchen, Rosie (20 July 2014). "June Osborne: Crashing through the stained glass ceiling". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "From Dean June to Bishop June". Diocese of Salisbury. 27 April 2017. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "New Bishop of Llandaff appointed". Church in Wales. 27 April 2017. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Bishop of Llandaff enthroned in cathedral ceremony". BBC News. 22 July 2017. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- London Gazette, Issue 57993 of 26 May 2006, page 7299 online