Jung Yu-mi (actress, born 1983)
Jung Yu-mi in 2018
|Born||January 18, 1983|
Busan, South Korea
|Education||Seoul Institute of the Arts - Film major|
|Revised Romanization||Jeong Yu-mi|
Jung Yu-mi (born January 18, 1983) is a South Korean actress. Jung made her feature film debut in Blossom Again (2005), for which she received acting recognition. She has since starred in the critically acclaimed films Family Ties (2006), Chaw (2009), My Dear Desperado (2010), and the box office hits The Crucible (2011), Train to Busan (2016) and Kim Ji-young: Born 1982 (2019). She also frequently appears in films by auteur Hong Sang-soo, notably Oki's Movie (2010) and Our Sunhi (2013). Jung has drawn praise for her unique screen presence and versatility.
Jung Yu-mi made her acting debut in short films, notably How to Operate a Polaroid Camera. Shortly after, the then-aspiring actress impressed critics in the feature film Blossom Again, in which she gave an engrossing performance as an emotionally vulnerable teenager experiencing her first love, and thus received several newcomer awards that year. Her next film Family Ties was also critically acclaimed, for which she won Best Supporting Actress at the Blue Dragon Film Awards.
Jung's filmography is a diverse mix of arthouse indies such as The Room Nearby and Cafe Noir, cult monster flick Chaw, odd-couple romantic comedy My Dear Desperado, and melodrama Come, Closer. The Crucible (also known as Silenced), inspired by true events about a group of handicapped children who suffer physical and sexual abuse at the hands of their teachers, drew nearly 5 million viewers and became one of the highest-grossing films that Jung has starred in. Her ability to portray the lives of ordinary people in ways that are not ordinary have made her one of the most sought-after actresses for auteurial films, as evidenced by her continued collaboration with director Hong Sang-soo. She played the titular character in Hong's Oki's Movie (2010) and Our Sunhi (2013), where her fragile appeal is underpinned by a quiet strength and straightforwardness. Oki's Movie premiered at the 67th Venice Film Festival, while Our Sunhi premiered at the 66th Locarno International Film Festival. In 2015, she starred in the female-centric indie film The Table directed by Kim Jong-kwan, which premiered at the 21st Busan International Film Festival.
Jung has also starred in several commercial films, such as Manhole (2014), where she plays a killer. She was cast in the zombie thriller Train to Busan (2016) directed by Yeon Sang-ho, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival. The film was a major success, surpassing 10 million audiences. Jung reunited with Yeon in another film, Psychokinesis, a black comedy which premiered in 2018.
Though much less prolific in television, Jung uses her quirky, offbeat image to great effect when playing peculiar but adorable characters in Que Sera, Sera (2007), I Need Romance 2012, and Discovery of Love (2014). In 2018, Jung starred in the tvN drama Live, written by Noh Hee-kyung where she played a policeman.
Awards and nominations
|2005||26th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best New Actress||Blossom Again||Nominated|||
|25th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Best New Actress||Won|||
|4th Korean Film Awards||Nominated|||
|2006||42nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress||Won|||
|5th Korean Film Awards||Best New Actress||Family Ties||Nominated|||
|27th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Won|||
|2010||KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a One-Act Drama Special||The Great Gye Choon-bin||Won|||
|8th Korean Film Awards||Best Actress||My Dear Desperado||Nominated|
|2011||33rd Golden Cinematography Awards||Won|||
|20th Buil Film Awards||Oki's Movie||Won|||
|32nd Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Leading Actress||The Crucible||Nominated|
|2013||KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Queen of the Office||Nominated|
|14th Busan Film Critics Awards||Best Actress||Our Sunhi||Won|||
|Cine 21 Awards||Won|
|2014||1st Wildflower Film Awards||Nominated|||
|23rd Buil Film Awards||Nominated|||
|KBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Discovery of Love||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Won|||
|Netizen Award, Actress||Won|||
|Best Couple Award with Eric Mun||Won|
|2016||37th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Train to Busan||Nominated|
|25th Buil Film Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|2017||22nd Chunsa Film Art Awards||Nominated|
|17th Korea World Youth Film Festival||Favorite Film Actress||The Table||Won|||
|2018||55th Grand Bell Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Psychokinesis||Nominated|||
|11th Korea Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Live||Nominated|||
|6th APAN Star Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Nominated|||
|2019||20th Women in Film Korea Awards||Best Actress||Kim Ji-young: Born 1982||Won|
|2020||56th Grand Bell Awards||Won|||
|25th Chunsa Film Art Awards||Nominated|||
|29th Buil Film Awards||Won|
|56th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|||
|14th Asian Film Awards||Best Actress||Pending|
- "Jung Yu-mi signs on with new agency". Kpop Herald. 10 March 2006.
- "The Chameleon Talents of Actress Jung Yu-mi". The Chosun Ilbo. January 25, 2020.
- "How to Operate a Polaroid Camera". IndieStory. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "혼돈의 행복이여, 다시 한번, <사랑니>의 정유미". Cine21 (in Korean). 17 October 2005.
- Lee, Claire (2 May 2012). "Jung Ji-woo talks on his new film, new muse". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "[cine club] <가족의 탄생> 김태용 감독과 배우 정유미와의 만남". Cine21 (in Korean). 19 October 2007.
- "The 27th Blue Dragon Awards". The Korea Society. Archived from the original on 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
D'Sa, Nigel (21 December 2006). "BONG's Host Takes Top Prize at Blue Dragon". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Shin, Hae-in (28 February 2009). "Two rooms, two desires invoke catastrophe in The Room Nearby". Yonhap. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Cho, Jae-eun (6 January 2011). "Film critic puts his reputation on the line in directing debut". Korea Joongang Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Yang, Sung-jin (17 June 2009). "Korea's new B-movie star: a CGI pig". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Ji-hye (29 April 2010). "My Dear Desperado is not a romantic comedy nor comedy". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "2010.10.29 NOW PLAYING". Korea Joongang Daily. 29 October 2010. Archived from the original on 10 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Hyo-won (24 August 2011). "Film examines child abuse case". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
"The Crucible Brings Demons of Child Molestation Case Back to Life". The Chosun Ilbo. 28 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
Song, Ho-jin (28 September 2011). "The Crucible surpasses 1 million viewers at box office". The Hankyoreh. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "JUNG Yu-Mi". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- "A Sketch Artist Animates a Fraternity of Bumblers". New York Times. 15 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
Foundas, Scott (18 August 2013). "Locarno Film Review: Our Sunhi". Variety. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
"'우리 선희' 정유미 "당일 나오는 홍상수 대본, 어떻게 외우냐고?"(인터뷰)". TV Report (in Korean). 30 September 2013.
- "THE TABLE Gathers Quartet of Superb Actresses in Elegant Drama". Screen Anarchy. 21 August 2017.
- "JUNG Yu-Mi Steps into MANHOLE". Korean Film Biz Zone. 14 January 2014.
- "Main Cast Confirmed for BUSAN BOUND". Korean Film Biz Zone. 8 April 2015.
"Gong Yoo, Jung Yu-mi to Walk Red Carpet in Cannes". The Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2016.
- "Zombie Movie 'Train to Busan' Passes 11 Million-Viewer Mark". The Chosun Ilbo. 19 August 2016.
- "YEON Sang-ho's Upcoming PSYCHOKINESIS Secures Release Date". Korean Film Biz Zone. 26 October 2017.
- ""Que Sera Sera", a new MBC TV series". MBC Global. 14 February 2008.
Choi, Eun-hwa (18 June 2012). "Jung Yu Mi Hesitated to Appear in I Need a Romance 2". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
"Jung Yu-mi's Gamble on TV Soap Proves Worthwhile". The Chosun Ilbo. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
Jin, Eun-soo (23 May 2014). "Jung Yu-mi to star in new steamy drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- "Jung Yu-mi, Lee Kwang-soo cast for tvN's new series 'Live'". The Korea Herald. 21 August 2017.
"Actress Jung Yu-mi to Star in New Cop Drama". The Chosun Ilbo. 7 March 2018.
- WowKeren, Tim. "Syahdu, Sung Si Kyung-Jung Yoo Mi Ajak Fans Galau di MV Duet 'Andromeda'". WowKeren.com. Retrieved 2020-10-22.
- "Jung Yu-mi cast in 'Kim Ji Young, Born 1982'". Korea JoongAng Daily. 13 September 2018.
- Dong, Sun-hwa (5 September 2019). "Sexism battle: Feminist film to premiere in October". The Korea Times. Retrieved 24 September 2019.
- "'School Nurse' heading to Netflix". Korea JoongAng Daily. 21 December 2018.
- "Blue Dragon Film Awards". Cinemasie. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- "영화평론가가 선택한 2005년 영화 '형사'". Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). 7 December 2005.
- "Korean Film Awards (MBC)". Cinemasie. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- "42nd Baeksang Awards Nominations +Winners". Twitch Film. 14 April 2006. Archived from the original on 5 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- D'Sa, Nigel (21 December 2006). "BONG's Host Takes Top Prize at Blue Dragon". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- Cho, Bum-ja (3 January 2011). "Jang Hyuk scores top prize at KBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2014-09-06.
- "정유미, 제33회 황금촬영상 최우수 여우연기상 수상 쾌거". Naver (in Korean). Sports World. 1 September 2011.
- "류승범·정유미, 부일영화상 男女 주연상 수상". Star News (in Korean). 7 October 2011.
- "하정우·정유미, 부산영평상 남녀연기상..6일 시상식". Star News (in Korean). 5 December 2013.
- "Wildflower Film Awards". Koreanfilm.org. 11 February 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Kim, June (6 October 2014). "SHIM Eun-kyung, SONG Kang-ho, HONG Sangsoo and ROARING CURRENTS Win at 23rd Buil Film Awards". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-10-09.
- "연발 커플 문정혁 정유미, KBS 연기대상 우수연기상 나란히 수상". 10Asia (in Korean). 31 December 2014.
- "'2014 KBS 연기대상' 정유미, 네티즌상-베스트커플상-우수연기상 '3관왕'". TV Daily (in Korean). 31 December 2014.
- "전국 청소년이 뽑은 인기 영화인은?". Naver (in Korean). News1. 7 October 2017.
- "제55회 대종상, 각 부문 후보 공개…'공작' 12개 최다부문 노미네이트". Sports Seoul (in Korean). 21 September 2018.
- "2018 코리아드라마어워즈(KDA) 수상후보 및 작품 공개…10월 2일 경남 진주 경남문화예술회관 개최". TopStarNews (in Korean). 28 September 2018.
- "이병헌·손예진·아이유 APAN스타어워즈 노미네이트". Star News (in Korean). 27 September 2018.
- [제56회 대종상]'기생충' 작품상 포함 5관왕 달성…이병헌·정유미 주연상(종합) [[56th Daejong Award] Achievement of 5 crowns including'parasite' work award... Lee Byung-Hun and Yoo-Mi Jeong starring (General)]. Herald Corporation (in Korean). June 3, 2020. Retrieved June 9, 2020 – via Naver.
- "'엑시트' 개최 연기 춘사영화제 6개 부문 최다 노미네이트" (in Korean). 9 March 2020. Retrieved 30 May 2020.
- MacDonald, Joan (May 8, 2020). "Baeksang Arts Awards Announces Nominees And Plans To Proceed Without An Audience". Forbes. Archived from the original on May 30, 2020. Retrieved May 30, 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jung Yu-mi.|