|Directed by||Andy Serkis|
|Screenplay by||Callie Kloves|
The Jungle Book|
by Rudyard Kipling
|Music by||Nitin Sawhney|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
Mowgli is an upcoming live-action adventure fantasy film directed by Andy Serkis and written by Callie Kloves, based on The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. The film stars Rohan Chand, Matthew Rhys, and Freida Pinto, with the voices of Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Benedict Cumberbatch, Naomie Harris, and Serkis. The film is scheduled to be released on October 19, 2018, in Real D 3D and IMAX 3D.
The story follows the upbringing of the human child Mowgli (Rohan Chand) raised by a pack of wolves in the jungles of India. As he learns the often harsh rules of the jungle, under the tutelage of a bear named Baloo (Andy Serkis) and a panther named Bagheera (Christian Bale) Mowgli becomes accepted by the animals of the jungle as one of their own, except for one; the fearsome tiger Shere Khan (Benedict Cumberbatch). But there may be greater dangers lurking in the jungle, as Mowgli comes face to face with his human origins.
Voice and motion-capture cast
- Christian Bale as Bagheera
- Cate Blanchett as Kaa
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Shere Khan
- Naomie Harris as Nisha
- Andy Serkis as Baloo
- Peter Mullan as Akela
- Jack Reynor as Brother Wolf
- Eddie Marsan as Vihaan
- Tom Hollander as Tabaqui
A number of writers, directors, and producers have been connected with the film during its development. In April 2012, Warner Bros. Pictures announced that it was developing the film with Steve Kloves in talks to write, direct, and produce it. It was reported in December 2013 that Kloves would produce the film, but that Alejandro González Iñárritu was in talks to direct it, from a screenplay by Kloves' daughter Callie. However, in January 2014, Iñárritu left the project due to scheduling conflicts with Birdman and The Revenant. In February 2014, it was reported that Ron Howard was in talks to direct, and would produce the film with Brian Grazer through their Imagine Entertainment company. The next month it was announced that Andy Serkis would direct and produce the film with collaborator Jonathan Cavendish of The Imaginarium, along with Steve Kloves; still from Callie Kloves' script and he will also do the voice and performance capture for Baloo. The production designer would be Gary Freeman, the editor would be Mark Sanger, and the costume designer would be Alexandra Byrne.
In August 2014, Benedict Cumberbatch joined the film to voice the villain role of Shere Khan. Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Naomie Harris, Tom Hollander, Eddie Marsan, Peter Mullan and Rohan Chand were announced the following day. Jack Reynor was added to the cast in March 2015 as Mowgli's Brother Wolf. It was announced in April 2015 that Matthew Rhys was in talks to play the human role of John Lockwood. In May 2015, it was confirmed that Freida Pinto would be playing an unspecified live-action role along with Rhys and Chand, later confirmed to be Mowgli's adoptive mother.
The film, originally titled Jungle Book: Origins, was originally set for an October 2016 release. In December 2014, WB shifted the date to October 2017, allowing more time for further work on the visual effects. In April 2016, just before the wide release of Disney's The Jungle Book, the film's release date was moved to October 19, 2018. In October 2017, Andy Serkis revealed the working title of his movie to be Mowgli: Tales from the Jungle Book. In December, the official title was trimmed to Mowgli.
Serkis has stated that the film would be "darker" and more "serious" in tone than from previous Jungle Book adaptations. In March 2018, Serkis said first footage would be released "very soon". The first trailer and a behind-the-scenes featurette both premiered on May 21, 2018.
- Stauffer, Derek (19 December 2017). "Andy Serkis' Jungle Book Retitled Mowgli; Official Synopsis Released". Screen Rant. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (27 April 2012). "Steve Kloves To Write-Direct 'The Jungle Book' For Warner Bros". Deadline. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (4 December 2013). "Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to Direct 'Jungle Book' Movie for Warner Bros". TheWrap. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (9 January 2014). "No 'Jungle Book' For Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu At Warner Bros". Deadline. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Siegel, Tatiana; Kit, Borys (14 February 2014). "Ron Howard in Talks to Direct Warner Bros.' 'The Jungle Book'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- McNary, Dave (20 March 2014). "Andy Serkis to Direct 'Jungle Book' for Warner Bros.Dave McNary". Variety. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- Lesnick, Silas (9 March 2015). "Production Officially Begins on Warner Bros.' The Jungle Book". ComingSoon.net. CraveOnline. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Kit, Borys (19 August 2014). "Benedict Cumberbatch Joins 'Jungle Book' for Warner Bros". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Kit, Borys (20 August 2014). "Christian Bale and Cate Blanchett Join 'Jungle Book: Origins'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Jaafar, Ali (1 April 2015). "Matthew Rhys In Talks To Join 'Jungle Book: Origins' For Warner Bros". Deadline. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (8 May 2015). "Freida Pinto Swings Into Andy Serkis' 'Jungle Book: Origins' At Warner Bros". Deadline. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- Murphy, Desiree (3 March 2016). "EXCLUSIVE: Freida Pinto Reveals the Role She's Playing in 'Jungle Book: Origins'". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "Andy Serkis' Jungle Book Gets A PG-13 Rating For Bloody Images". CulturedVultures.com. 23 February 2018. Retrieved 9 March 2018.
- McNary, Dave (1 August 2014). "Andy Serkis' 'Jungle Book: Origins' Set for October 2016, A Year After Disney's 'Jungle Book'". Variety. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- Kit, Borys (11 December 2014). "Warner Bros. Pushes Release Date of 'Jungle Book: Origins'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- Ford, Rebecca (6 April 2016). "Warner Bros. Pushes 'Jungle Book' to 2018, 'Wonder Woman' Gets New Date". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- Houghton, Rianne (20 October 2017). "Andy Serkis reveals the working title of his Jungle Book movie". Digital Spy. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Mowgli, Robin Hood Rated PG-13 by MPAA". Comingsoon.net. 22 February 2018. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- "First Trailer For Andy Serkis' Mowgli Is Coming 'Very Soon'". Screenrant.com. 3 March 2018. Retrieved 9 March 2018.
- "Mowgli trailer: first look at Andy Serkis's dark Jungle Book film". The Daily Telegraph. 21 May 2018. Retrieved 22 May 2018.