Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lewis D. Collins|
|Produced by||William Stephens|
|Screenplay by||Jo Pagano|
|Music by||Irving Gertz|
|Edited by||Norman A. Cerf|
|Distributed by||Screen Guild Productions Commonwealth Pictures reissue|
Jungle Goddess is a 1948 American action/adventure crime film starring George Reeves, Ralph Byrd, and Wanda McKay. Directed by Lewis D. Collins, the film was based on an idea by producer William Stephens.
Jungle Goddess was later featured in a Season 2 episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.
In Africa, pilot Mike Patton is persuaded by an acquaintance, Bob Simpson, to conduct a search for a missing heiress whose plane supposedly went down in the jungle, resulting in her never being seen again.
Encountering an indigenous tribe of natives, Bob recklessly shoots a man. He is taken before a woman, Greta, who is being treated like a high priestess. Bob is sentenced to die, but when she gets Mike off to herself, Greta pleads with him to help her escape.
During a struggle, a gun goes off and a guard is left dead. With the tribesmen in pursuit, Mike and Greta are betrayed by Bob, who has gone mad. But after he is killed by a spear, Mike and Greta make it to the plane and safely get away.
- George Reeves as Mike Patton
- Wanda McKay as Greta Vanderhorn
- Ralph Byrd as Bob Simpson
- Armida as Wanama
- Onest Conley as Drummer
- Rudy Robles as Nugara
- Jack Carroll as Accompanist
- Dolores Castle as Yvonne
- Fred Coby as Pilot
- Helena Grant as Mrs. Fitzhugh
- Reed Hadley as Radio Newscaster (uncredited)
- Sam Harris as Bar Patron (uncredited)
- Linda Leighton as Helen Phillips (credited as Linda Johnson)
- William H. O'Brien as Bartender (uncredited)
- Smoki Whitfield as Oolonga the witch doctor
- Zack Williams as Chief M'benga
Lippert borrowed George Reeve to star and filming started in June 1948.
In 2006, Jungle Goddess was released on Region 1 DVD in the United States by VCI Home Video. The film was paired with another title starring George Reeves, Thunder in the Pines (1948).
- Davis, Blair (2012). The Battle for the Bs: 1950s Hollywood and the Rebirth of Low-budget Cinema. Rutgers University Press. p. 84. ISBN 0-813-55324-5.
- Schallert, E. (1948, May 28). Hodiak star in 'bribe,' carlson will produce. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/165839834?accountid=13902
- Tye, Larry (2012). Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero. Random House Digital, Inc. p. 353. ISBN 1-588-36918-8.
- Jungle Goddess on IMDb
- Jungle Goddess at Rotten Tomatoes
- Jungle Goddess at AllMovie
- Jungle Goddess at the TCM Movie Database
- Review of film at Variety
|This article about an action-adventure film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|