|Single by Paul McCartney and Wings|
|Released||25 October 1974|
|Recorded||July 1974, Sound Shop Studios, Nashville, Tennessee|
3:03 (Radio edit)
|Songwriter(s)||Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney|
|Wings singles chronology|
Italian single cover
Writing and release
The track was engineered by Ernie Winfrey at Soundshop Studios in Nashville, Tennessee in 1974. While recording in Nashville, the band stayed at the Lebanon, Tennessee farm of Curly Putman Jr., which accounts for the song's title. Jimmy McCulloch played the guitar solo as his Wings debut.
The photo for the single's picture sleeve featured the members of Wings dressed in appropriate costumes from the song's lyrics (for example, Geoff Britton as a poker dealer and Denny Laine as the "Eskimo"). However, the photo only appeared on the picture sleeve of the single in Spain and in advertisements elsewhere. In the UK and the US, the single was released in an Apple Records company sleeve. In some other countries in Europe, a black-and-white band photo was used instead (see alternative cover).
This was McCartney's last release on Apple Records before signing a solo recording contract with Capitol Records in May 1975, following the dissolution of the Beatles' partnership.
- Paul McCartney — vocals, bass, background vocals
- Linda McCartney — keyboards, background vocals
- Denny Laine — guitars, background vocals
- Jimmy McCulloch – guitars, backing vocals
- Geoff Britton – drums
B-side and later release
The B-side, "Sally G", was also a top-20 hit on the US charts, peaking at number 17. "Junior's Farm" was later released on the McCartney/Wings compilation Wings Greatest in 1978 and the US version of All the Best! in 1987, although it was not on the UK edition of the latter album. The 3-minute radio edit of the song was included on the Wingspan: Hits and History compilation. "Sally G" was released in 1993 as a bonus track on Wings at the Speed of Sound in The Paul McCartney Collection. Both songs are now remastered and featured on the Hear-Music version of Venus and Mars released in November 2014.
- "Paul McCartney singles". allmusic. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
- Inman, Davis. ""Junior's Farm," Paul McCartney". American Songwriter.
- "Official Charts: Paul McCartney". The Official UK Charts Company. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955–2002
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 June 2016. Retrieved 2016-06-08.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Australian Chart Book". Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1975/Top 100 Songs of 1975". Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- [dead link]
- "Junior's Farm by The Lee Harvey Oswald Band". findsongtempo.com. 2016-05-15. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- "Galactic Cowboys 'Feel the Rage'". metalblade.com. 2007-06-03. Retrieved 2016-12-31.