Junior dos Santos
|Junior dos Santos|
January 30, 1984 |
|Other names||Cigano, JDS|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||238 lb (108 kg; 17 st 0 lb)|
|Reach||77.0 in (196 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Salvador, Bahia, Brazil|
|Team||American Top Team|
|Trainer||Boxing & MMA: Luis Dorian
BJJ: Yuri Carlton
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Yuri Carlton|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Junior "Cigano" dos Santos (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈʒũnjoʁ dus ˈsɐ̃tus]) (born January 30, 1984) is a Brazilian mixed martial artist and former UFC Heavyweight Champion. As of 8 June 2015, he is #2 in official UFC heavyweight rankings after the champion Fabrício Werdum and ranked the #2 heavyweight in the world by Sherdog.
- 1 Background
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Championships and accomplishments
- 4 Mixed martial arts record
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Born into a poor family, dos Santos was raised by a single mother. In order to help his family he started to work at the age of ten. His first serious contact with martial arts happened at the age of 21, when he began training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Yuri Carlton. After only six months of training, dos Santos won a few jiu-jitsu tournaments in Salvador. Dos Santos was soon invited[by whom?] to join an MMA practice, where he met his boxing coach Luiz Carlos Dórea. Roughly a year after he started training jiu-jitsu he had his debut professional fight.
Dos Santos turned professional in 2006 at the age of 21. He fought in small promotions in Brazil, such as Demo Fight, Extreme Fighting Championship, Minotauro Fights and Mo Team League. He won six of his first seven bouts, suffering his only loss to Joaquim Ferreira, a fighter he'd previously beaten.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (2008–present)
Dos Santos debuted for the UFC on October 25, 2008 at UFC 90. Considered a major underdog, he knocked out top contender Fabrício Werdum at a minute and twenty seconds of the first round with a strong uppercut, earning himself a "Knockout of the Night" award.
On September 19, 2009, Dos Santos continued his winning streak and defeated Mirko Filipović at UFC 103. During the third round Filipović was dominated in the clinch with knee strikes and punches. A knee from the clinch and a right uppercut apparently caused damage to Mirko's left eye, causing him to verbally submit.
Dos Santos was supposed to fight Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 108. However, Gonzaga pulled out of the bout on November 25, 2009 due to a staph infection. Instead on January 2, 2010, dos Santos fought Gilbert Yvel, winning the fight via TKO at two minutes and seven seconds of the first round.
Heavyweight title contender (2010–2011)
Dos Santos faced Roy Nelson on August 7, 2010, at UFC 117. The fight saw dos Santos use a variety of strikes and, for the first time, a successful takedown. Despite dos Santos' striking ability, Nelson was able to stay in the fight, resulting in the fight going to decision. Dos Santos won via unanimous decision (30–26, 30–27, 30–27). Following the win, dos Santos was expected[by whom?] to challenge Cain Velasquez for the heavyweight title. However, a torn rotator cuff suffered by Velasquez sidelined the champion for nearly a year.
On January 11, 2011, it was revealed[by whom?] that dos Santos would be one of the coaches of The Ultimate Fighter Season 13, opposite to Brock Lesnar. They were scheduled to face each other on June 11, 2011, at UFC 131, but Lesnar pulled out of the bout due to a recurrence of diverticulitis and was replaced by Shane Carwin. Dos Santos dominated Carwin and defeated him via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26), relying predominantly on his boxing skills, but showed more variety in his game by landing a couple of kicks and completing two takedowns in the third round.
UFC Heavyweight Champion (2011–2012)
Dos Santos faced Cain Velasquez at UFC on Fox 1 for the UFC Heavyweight Championship on November 12, 2011. He defeated Velasquez in 64 seconds of the first round via KO to win the UFC Heavyweight Championship He dropped Velasquez with an overhand right and finished him off with a series of punches. The performance also earned him his third "Knockout of the Night" award. After the fight, it was revealed that he had a torn meniscus in his knee; he subsequently underwent a successful knee surgery.
Dos Santos was scheduled to face Alistair Overeem on May 26, 2012 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena at UFC 146. On April 4, 2012, the Nevada State Athletic Commission announced Overeem had failed a pre-fight drug test. Consequently, Overeem's request for a license was denied. On April 20, 2012, Dana White the UFC president announced Frank Mir would be replacing Overeem. Dos Santos was able to keep the fight standing, showing his superior boxing skills, resulting in a KO in the second round.
A rematch against Cain Velasquez was expected on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152. However, it was later announced by Dana White that the fight would take place in Las Vegas on December 29, 2012 at UFC 155. dos Santos fell short to Velasquez after five rounds of a one-sided match and lost his title via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-43, 50-44). This marked the first time dos Santos had suffered a loss in the UFC. Dos Santos later claimed that he was training so hard prior to the bout with Velasquez that he developed rhabdomyolysis, a (sometimes fatal) breakdown of muscle fibers that releases their contents into the bloodstream and that the condition affected his performance during the fight.
Back into contention (2013-present)
Dos Santos was expected to face Alistair Overeem on May 25, 2013 at UFC 160. However, in early March, Overeem pulled out of the bout citing an injury. The bout was expected to be rescheduled for a future event, However, on March 9, UFC President Dana White confirmed that dos Santos' next opponent would be Mark Hunt at the same event. In the UFC 159 post-fight conference, Dana White indicated that if dos Santos defeated Hunt, he would be the #1 contender for the heavyweight championship. Dos Santos won the fight via third round knockout in a bout that earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
A third fight with Cain Velasquez took place on October 19, 2013 at UFC 166. Although dos Santos experienced more moments of success than in their second fight, he was still dominated by Velasquez for most of the fight. He lost via TKO at 3:09 of the fifth round after landing on his head during an attempted submission and follow up punches from Velasquez.
Dos Santos was expected to face Stipe Miocic on May 24, 2014 at UFC 173. However, the bout was slightly delayed and was scheduled to take place a week later on May 31, 2014 at The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 Finale. However, on May 5, it was announced that dos Santos pulled out of the fight citing a hand injury and he was replaced by Fabio Maldonado.
A rescheduled bout with Miocic eventually took place as the main event at UFC on Fox 13 on December 13, 2014. Dos Santos won the back-and-forth fight by unanimous decision. The performance earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed Martial Arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- FIGHT! Magazine
- Upset of the Year (2008) vs. Fabrício Werdum on October 25
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|20 matches||17 wins||3 losses|
|Win||17–3||Stipe Miocic||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: dos Santos vs. Miocic||December 13, 2014||5||5:00||Phoenix, Arizona, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||16–3||Cain Velasquez||TKO (slam and punch)||UFC 166||October 19, 2013||5||3:09||Houston, Texas, United States||For the UFC Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||16–2||Mark Hunt||KO (spinning hook kick)||UFC 160||May 25, 2013||3||4:18||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||15–2||Cain Velasquez||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 155||December 29, 2012||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Lost UFC Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||15–1||Frank Mir||TKO (punches)||UFC 146||May 26, 2012||2||3:04||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Defended UFC Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||14–1||Cain Velasquez||KO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos||November 12, 2011||1||1:04||Anaheim, California, United States||Won UFC Heavyweight Championship; Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||13–1||Shane Carwin||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 131||June 11, 2011||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada||UFC Heavyweight title eliminator.|
|Win||12–1||Roy Nelson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 117||August 7, 2010||3||5:00||Oakland, California, United States|
|Win||11–1||Gabriel Gonzaga||KO (punches)||UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones||March 21, 2010||1||3:53||Broomfield, Colorado, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||10–1||Gilbert Yvel||KO (punches)||UFC 108||January 2, 2010||1||2:07||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–1||Mirko Filipović||Verbal Submission (eye injury)||UFC 103||September 19, 2009||3||2:00||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||8–1||Stefan Struve||KO (punches)||UFC 95||February 21, 2009||1||0:54||London, England|
|Win||7–1||Fabrício Werdum||KO (punches)||UFC 90||October 25, 2008||1||1:20||Rosemont, Illinois, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||6–1||Geronimo dos Santos||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Demo Fight 3||May 24, 2008||1||0:44||Salvador, Brazil|
|Loss||5–1||Joaquim Ferreira||Submission (armbar)||MTL: Final||November 10, 2007||1||1:13||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||5–0||Jair Gonçalves||TKO (punches)||Mo Team League 2||September 29, 2007||1||2:52||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||4–0||Joaquim Ferreira||TKO (retirement)||XFC: Brazil||April 29, 2007||1||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||3–0||Edson Ramos||TKO (doctor stoppage)||XFC: Brazil||April 29, 2007||1||8:45||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Eduardo Maiorino||Submission (guillotine choke)||Minotauro Fights 5||December 9, 2006||1||0:50||São Bernardo do Campo, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||Jailson Silva Santos||KO (soccer kick)||Demo Fight 1||July 16, 2006||1||2:58||Salvador, Brazil|
- "Junior Cigano". MMA Brasil. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- "Junior Dos Santos". ufc.com. Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Dos Santos vs. Miocic". UFC.com. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- Jesse Holland (February 4, 2014). "Junior dos Santos leaves Team Nogueira to join Nova Uniao". mmamania.com.
- "JUNIOR DOS SANTOS EARNS BJJ BLACK BELT". fightersonlymag.com. December 11, 2012.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. January 5, 2014.
- "De garçom a lutador: experiência de vida ajuda Cigano a superar derrota". Globoesporte.com. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "História". Cigano - Official Website. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- Dehò, Maurício (2011-11-07). "Cigano foge do rótulo de celebridade em luta da vida e quer nocaute: '5 rounds é chato'" [Gypsy escapes the label of celebrity in the struggle of life and wants KO: '5 rounds is boring '] (in Portuguese). UOL.com. Retrieved 2012-04-06.
- Non, Sergio (2011-06-07). "Junior dos Santos: 'I like being the nice guy'". USAToday.com. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Mindenhall, Chuck (March 2011). "Gypsy Road". FightMagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "UFC 90: Silva vs. Cote Results". UFC.com. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- Alonso, Marcelo (2008-10-29). "KO Alters Course for Werdum, Dos Santos". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "UFC 90 bonuses: Sherk, Griffin, dos Santos and Fisher each earn $65K". MMAJunkie.com. 2008-10-26. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- Michael David Smith. "UFC 95: Junior 'Cigano' dos Santos vs. Stefan Struve Spoiler". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "UFC 103 Play-by-Play & Results". Sherdog.com. 2009-09-20. Retrieved 2012-04-04.
- Cofield, Steve (2009-09-19). "Mirko 'Cro Cop' no longer scary: Dos Santos' knees force the Croatian legend to quit". Sports.Yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-04-04.
- Cofield, Steve (2009-10-25). "Another good fight goes bye-bye: Gonzaga out of UFC 108". Sports.Yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- Cofield, Steve (2010-01-02). "Dos Santos wins rock'em, sock'em battle over Yvel". Sports.Yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- Leidecker, Tim (2010-01-05). "UFC 108 Analysis: The Main Card". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- Karkoski, Kris. "Junior dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga Announced for "UFC on Versus: Vera vs. Jones"". mmafrenzy.com. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- Morgan, John; Stupp, Dann (2010-03-21). "UFC on Versus 1 bonuses: Three fighters earn $50,000 "KO of Night" awards". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- "Roy Nelson vs. Junior Dos Santos in the works for UFC 117 main card". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "UFC 117 Results & Live Play-by-Play". Sherdog.com. 2010-08-07. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- Cofield, Steve (2010-08-07). "UFC 117: Dos Santos pummels Nelson but can't finish 'the belly'". Sports.Yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- Non, Sergio (2010-08-07). "Dos Santos pummels Nelson for decision win at UFC 117". USAToday.com. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "Dos Santos batters 'Zombie' Nelson to earn title shot". ESPN.co.uk. 2010-08-08. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- Marrocco, Steven (2010-12-29). "Trainer: UFC champ Velasquez out minimum 6-8 months with torn rotator cuff". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- Santos, Fabricio (2011-08-17). "O card do UFC 139, que terá o brasileiro Júnior dos Santos disputando o título dos pesados contra Cain Velasquez terá um duelo de brasileiros.". MMA Magazine (Brasil). Retrieved 2014-02-19.
- Stupp, Dann (2011-01-11). "Brock Lesnar and Junior Dos Santos named "The Ultimate Fighter 13" coaches". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- Martin, Damon (2011-01-11). "Brock Lesnar vs. Junior Dos Santos At June UFC PPV; No Interim Title on the Line". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- Michael David Smith (2011-05-12). "Brock Lesnar Out of UFC 131". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved 2011-05-12.
- Knapp, Brian (2011-06-11). "JDS outguns Carwin, clinches title shot". ESPN.Go.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- Whitman, Mike (2011-06-11). "After Outboxing Carwin, ‘Cigano’ Looks Toward ‘Biggest Challenge’". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- Mindenhall, Chuck (2011-06-12). "Dos Santos more than just a boxer". ESPN.Go.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- "Dos Santos vs. Carwin Official UFC Statistics". FightMetric.com. 2011-06-11. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- "Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos headlines UFC's debut on FOX". mmajunkie.com. September 2, 2011. Retrieved September 2, 2011.
- "Junior dos Santos claims title belt". ESPN.Go.com. 2011-11-13. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Perez, A.J. (2011-11-13). "Dos Santos stuns Velasquez for UFC title". FoxSports.com. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Whitman, Mike (2011-11-17). "New Champion Dos Santos Tops UFC on Fox 1 Paydays". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- Morgan, John; Marrocco, Steven (2011-11-13). "New UFC champ Junior Dos Santos fought with torn meniscus at UFC on FOX". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- Whitman, Mike (2011-12-07). "UFC Champ Dos Santos Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- Iole, Kevin (2012-03-31). "Nice guy Dos Santos gears up for Overeem". UK.EuroSport.Yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- Marrocco, Steven (2012-04-04). "Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- Chiappetta, Mike (2012-04-24). "Alistair Overeem License Request Denied; Can Re-Apply in December". Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- Critchfield, Tristen (2012-04-20). "UFC President Says Frank Mir Will Face Junior dos Santos for Heavyweight Title at UFC 146". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- "Junior Dos Santos vs. Cain Velasquez II targeted for UFC 152 headliner". mmajunkie.com. June 9, 2012.
- Okamoto, Brett. "Junior Dos Santos to fight Velasquez". ESPN.com. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- Holland, Jesse (2013-05-23). "UFC 160: How overtraining nearly killed Junior dos Santos". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- Matt Erickson (2013-02-12). "Velasquez-Silva 2, Dos Santos Overeem booked for UFC 160 in May". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- Helwani, Ariel (2013-03-06). "Alistair Overeem injured, out of UFC 160 fight against Junior dos Santos". MMAfighting.com. Retrieved 2012-03-06.
- Staff (2013-03-07). "After UFC 160 scratch, Alistair Overeem vs. JDS now likely in summer". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Ariel Helwani (2013-03-09). "Mark Hunt vs. Junior dos Santos on for UFC 160". MMAfighting.com. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- Dann Stupp and Matt Erickson (2013-06-13). "Champ Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos III likely at UFC 166 in Houston". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- Dann Stupp (2013-10-20). "Champ Cain Velasquez stomps JDS in rubber match". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- Adam Hill (2014-03-03). "Dos Santos to fight Miocic at UFC 173". reviewjournal.com.com. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- mmajunkie staff (2014-04-07). "Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva shifts to UFC 175, dos Santos vs. Miocic headlines in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- Brett Okamoto (2014-05-06). "Junior dos Santos pulls out of fight". sports.espn.com. Retrieved 2014-05-06.
- Cole, Ross (5 May 2014). "Junior dos Santos Pulls Out Of TUF Brazil 3 Finale Due To Injury". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-05-06). "Fabio Maldonado vs. Stipe Miocic headlines TUF: Brazil 3 Finale card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- Chuck Mindenhall (2014-09-17). "Stipe Miocic versus Junior dos Santos being discussed for December". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- Brian Knapp (2014-12-13). "Junior dos Santos denies upset bid, decisions Stipe Miocic in UFC on Fox 13 Main Event". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-12-13.
- Gene Mrosko (2014-12-13). "UFC on Fox 13 bonuses: Junior dos Santos vs. Stipe Miocic fight earns $50K". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-12-13.
- Luke Thomas (2014-08-25). "Junior dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem set for UFC on FOX 17 in December". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Junior Dos Santos – Official UFC® Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Recém-separado, Junior Cigano revela: 'Estou doido para ver a família'" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- Breen, Jordan (2011-01-10). "Third Team". M.sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- Breen, Jordan (2012-01-06). "First Team". M.sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- Junior dos Santos' Official MMA Record
- Official website
- Junior dos Santos on Twitter
- Professional MMA record for Junior dos Santos from Sherdog
- Junior dos Santos on UFC.com
|16th UFC Heavyweight Champion
November 12, 2011 – December 29, 2012