|No. 58 Washington Redskins|
|Date of birth:||March 27, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Port-au-Prince, Haiti|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||254 lb (115 kg)|
|High school:||Montvale (NJ) St. Joseph|
|College:||Temple / Stillman|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Junior Jovais Galette (born March 27, 1988) is an American football outside linebacker for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed by the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He played college football at Temple and Stillman.
Early and college career
Born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Galette came from an impoverished background. His parents left the Caribbean for the United States when he was still an infant in search of a better life. They eventually raised enough money to bring Galette and his two older brothers over to New York.
Galette graduated from Saint Joseph Regional High School in Montvale, New Jersey in 2006, then attended Temple University in Philadelphia, where he played three seasons for the Owls. He received honorable mention on the 2006 Sporting News Freshman All-American team as a linebacker. He switched to defensive end for his next two years. After being suspended from the team during his junior year, he transferred to Division II Stillman College in Tuscaloosa, Alabama for his final season, where he was named to the all-SIAC first team.
New Orleans Saints
Galette was not drafted in the 2010 draft and signed with the Saints as a free agent. His energetic play made him a fan favorite during the preseason, and after he blocked a punt and registered a two sacks in the Saints' final preseason game, Galette was selected for the Saints' 53-man regular season roster.
In the 2013 season, Galette signed a 3-year deal worth up to 9 million dollars. Galette became the team's regular starter at outside linebacker under new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and posted a breakout season with a team high 12 sacks.
On September 3, 2014, Galette signed a four-year contract extension worth $41.5 million. He was selected by teammates as one of the defensive team captains for the 2014 season and played all 16 of the Saints' games that season and ended up getting 45 total tackles, 10 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles. On July 24, 2015, Galette was officially released from the team.
On July 31, 2015, Galette signed a one-year contract with the Washington Redskins. On August 26, it was announced that he tore his Achilles tendon during practice and would miss the entire 2015 season. He was officially placed on injured reserve on August 31. On November 16, 2015, Galette was suspended for two weeks for violating the league's personal conduct policy, coming from the domestic violence incident back in January.
On February 1, 2017, Galette re-signed with the Redskins on another one-year contract.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
Key to Abbreviations
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
Galette has a son named Jovais. Galette has had multiple run-ins with the law, including a domestic violence charge in early 2015 when he allegedly attacked a woman who demanded cab money from him. However, all criminal and civil charges related to the incident were eventually dropped. In 2013, he is alleged to have used a belt as a weapon against a woman who approached him during a beach brawl on Miami Beach. The incident was caught on video and posted on YouTube but charges were never filed. On April 8, 2017, Galette was arrested in Biloxi, Mississippi for suspicion of disorderly conduct and failure to comply with police officers. An officer witnessed Galette assaulting a man, and when he tried to take off running, a taser was used to subdue him.
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- "New Orleans Saints' Junior Galette finds sense of security with four-year, $41.5 million contract extension". The Times-Picayune. September 3, 2014.
- "Junior Galette: 'Best week of my life'". ESPN. September 4, 2014.
- CBSSports.com draft profile (accessed 4 September 2010).
- Triplett, Mike (September 2, 2010). "New Orleans Saints' Junior Galette makes good argument for roster spot in preseason finale". Times-Picayune.
- Nakia Hogan, "Undrafted rookie Junior Galette excited about making New Orleans Saints roster", Times-Picayune, September 3, 2010.
- Triplett, Mike (December 12, 2013). "Exuberant Galette having breakout year". ESPN.
- "Junior Galette gets $41.5M extension". ESPN. September 3, 2014.
- "Junior Galette".
- Alper, Josh (24 July 2015). "Saints release Junior Galette". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- Keim, John. "Redskins sign Junior Galette". ESPN. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Hanzus, Dan (August 26, 2015). "Redskins' Junior Galette tears Achilles in practice". NFL.com. Retrieved 2015-08-26.
- "8/31: Redskins Make Roster Moves". Redskins.com. August 31, 2015. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- "Adam Schefter on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Washington’s injured Junior Galette suspended two weeks". Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- Czarda, Stephen (March 15, 2016). "Report: Redskins Re-Sign Linebacker Junior Galette". Redskins.com. Retrieved March 15, 2016.
- Keim, John (July 25, 2016). "Redskins LB Junior Galette tears Achilles, out for season". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- Bergman, Jeremy (January 31, 2017). "Junior Galette to sign third contract with Redskins". NFL.com. Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- "Junior Galette Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- Jones, Mike (10 August 2015). "Woman’s civil suit against Junior Galette is dismissed". Washington Post. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- Wells, Adam. "Junior Galette's Lawyer Says Client Is Not Man Striking Woman with Belt in Video". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Junior Galette arrested on conduct, failure to comply charges". NFL. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- "Redskins' Galette arrested at spring break fest". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2017-04-11.