Lake with the Baltimore Orioles in 2015
|Toros de Tijuana – No. 27|
Born: March 27, 1990|
San Pedro de Macorís, Dominican Republic
|July 19, 2013, for the Chicago Cubs|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Runs batted in||48|
Junior Osvaldo Lake (born March 27, 1990) is a Dominican professional baseball outfielder for the Toros de Tijuana of the Mexican Baseball League. He signed as an international free agent with the Chicago Cubs in 2007 and made his Major League Baseball (MLB) debut with them in 2013. He has also played for the Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays.
On February 13, 2007, he was signed as an international free agent. He started playing for the DSL Cubs at the age of 17 batting .274 with 3 home runs. He then played for the Arizona League Cubs batting .286 with 2 home runs. In 2009, he went to the Peoria Chiefs batting .248 with 7 home runs. Lake was added to the Cubs 40-man roster on November 18, 2011.
Lake suffered a stress fracture in a rib in spring training in 2013. He began the season in the minors. The Cubs promoted him to the major leagues on July 19 after Brian Bogusevic was injured and he was batting .295. Lake went 3-for-4 with a double and a stolen base in his debut. In his first seven games, Lake had 15 hits, tied for the third most by any major league player since 1900. He batted .484 with 2 home runs and 5 runs batted in over this stretch. With the return of David DeJesus on July 24 and the departure of Alfonso Soriano, Lake assumed the starting role of left field. On August 1, 2013, Lake had the first multi-homer game of his career when he hit two solo home runs in a 4-6 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers at Wrigley Field. On September 6, 2013, he hit the first grand slam of his career in the first inning off Kyle Lohse of the Milwaukee Brewers. Lake finished the 2013 campaign batting .284 in 64 games with 6 homers, 16 RBIs, and 4 stolen bases.
Lake started at left field on Opening Day in 2014. He hit his 7th and 8th home runs of the season in a game against the Miami Marlins on June 7, it was his second career multi-homerun game. After hitting just .216 with 9 home runs for the Cubs in 2014, Lake was optioned back to the Triple-A Iowa Cubs on August 16.
Lake spent the majority of the 2015 season in Triple-A for the Cubs. He was called up and played in 21 games for the Cubs due to numerous injuries in the outfield.
Toronto Blue Jays
On December 18, 2015, Lake was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays. Lake was added to their active roster on June 24, 2016. He was designated for assignment on July 25 after José Bautista returned from the disabled list. He cleared waivers, and was outrighted to the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons on July 31. Lake was brought up to the Blue Jays on August 10 when Bautista was once again placed on the disabled list. On August 16, Lake was designated for assignment after the Blue Jays activated Ezequiel Carrera. Lake played in 22 games for the Blue Jays in 2016, hitting .200 with one home run and two RBI.
Boston Red Sox
Bravos de León
Return to León
Toros de Tijuana
- "Cubs add four players to 40-man roster". Chicago.cubs.mlb.com. 2011-11-18. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "Injury ends camp for Cubs prospect Junior Lake - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. 2013-03-13. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "Injury knocks Junior Lake out of the picture". CSN Chicago. 2013-03-13. Archived from the original on 2015-02-09. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "Chicago Cubs News: Junior Lake to be called up from Iowa. - Chicago Tribune". Articles.chicagotribune.com. 2013-07-18. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- Twitter / Cubs: The #Cubs today recalled RHP Dan Straily and optioned OF Junior Lake to @IowaCubs.
- Muskat, Carrie (July 31, 2015). "Cubs get Hunter from O's, send Lake in return". MLB.com. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (December 18, 2015). "Blue Jays claim outfielder Junior Lake on waivers". sportsnet.ca. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- "Toronto Blue Jays on Twitter". Twitter. June 24, 2016. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- "Blue Jays' Jose Bautista activated off DL before San Diego series". July 25, 2016. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Shi Davidi on Twitter". Twitter. July 31, 2016. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Siegel, Jonas (August 10, 2016). "Jays put Jose Bautista on 15-day disabled list with knee sprain". Canadian Press. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- Adams, Steve (August 16, 2016). "Blue Jays Designate Junior Lake For Assignment". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- "Junior Lake Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- "MLB rumors: News on free-agent contracts, trades and more". si.com. December 9, 2016. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- "Junior Lake | SoxProspects.com". www.soxprospects.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Se Integran a Bravos Los Dominicanos Junior Lake Y Gilberto Mejia". bravosdeleon.com (in Spanish). June 20, 2017. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- "Mariners' Junior Lake: Agrees to terms with Seattle". CBSSports.com. February 14, 2018. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Junior Lake (baseball).|