Junius Brutus Stearns
He was member of the National Academy of Design for several decades and member of its Council.
He was born Lucius Sawyer Stearns in Arlington, Vermont. He named two sons after him, one Lucius Stearns, and the other Junius Brutus Stearns, Jr. JB Stearns, Jr., served in the Civil War in the 44th Regiment. JB Stearns served in the Civil War as well, New York's 12th Regiment. He also had two other sons named Raphael and Michaelangelo, and a daughter, Edith Sylvia.
His painting The Millennium was submitted as credentials for his admission as a member of the National Academy of Design.
Stearns is most famous for his series on George Washington, written about extensively by Mark Thistlewaite. Of these his painting, Washington as a Statesman, depicts President Washington addressing the Constitutional Convention; it is the subject of a US Postage Stamp in 1937.
Stearns also painted a second series of Washington in which he depicted free blacks. Not as much is known about this series or the intentions of the artist in so portraying blacks on the eve of the Civil War, although there was supposition by Mack, et al.
- "Washington as Statesman at the Constitutional Convention by Junius Brutus Stearns - Teaching American History". teachingamericanhistory.org. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- THE BATTLES BEFORE RICHMOND - Lists of Wounded in the Different Encounters. NAMES OF THE PRISONERS IN RICHMOND. SECOND MAINE REGIMENT. TWENTY-SECOND MASSACHUSETTS REGIMENT. TW...
- "Stearns Genealogy and Memoirs". google.com. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "History and honorary roll of the Twelfth Regiment, Infantry, N.G.S.N.Y". google.com. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "RootsWeb: PETIT-L Edith (Stearns) Foy-Pettit and stepson Wade C. Pettit". rootsweb.com. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Catalogue of the Loan Exhibition of Historical Portraits and Relics ..." google.com. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- Gail E. Husch (2000). Something Coming: Apocalyptic Expectation and Mid-Nineteenth-Century American Painting.
- New York Times (09.19.1885)
- Thistlewaite, Mark Edward (1979). The Image of George Washington: Studies in Mid-Nineteenth-Century American History Painting. New York: Garland.
- SESQUICENTENNIAL OF CONSTITUTION COMMEMORATIVE POSTAGE STAMP ISSUE OF 1937.
- JUNIUS BRUTUS STEARNS 1810
- "Landscape of Slavery: The Plantation in American Art: Angela D. Mack, Stephen G. Hoffius, Todd D. Smith: 9781570037207: Amazon.com: Books". amazon.com. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Junius Brutus Stearns.|
- Junius Brutus Stearns at ArtCyclopedia