Junius Heights, Dallas
Junius Heights is Dallas' largest historic district, a neighborhood of more than 800 homes in East Dallas, Texas (USA) situated east of Munger Place, south of Swiss Avenue and southwest of Lakewood. It is relatively rectangular, bounded roughly by Gaston Avenue on the NW, Paulus Avenue on the NE, Reiger Avenue on the SE, and Henderson Avenue on the SW.
Overview and history
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Junius Heights was built at what was the eastern edge of the city of Dallas in the late 1910s and construction continued into the 1930s. Most of the houses are Craftsman and Prairie style bungalows with a smattering of other styles. The neighborhood was served by the Junius Heights streetcar line until streetcar service was discontinued in Dallas.
The neighborhood was cut in two in the early 1970s when Abrams Road was extended from Junius St. to connect with Columbia Ave. The landmark Junius Heights columns were moved at the same time. The original plan called for them to be demolished but a neighborhood effort resulted in them being moved instead.
Junius Heights has an active neighborhood association that recently obtained historic designation. For more information you can visit the official site: Junius Heights Neighborhood
Landmarks in and near Junius Heights include:
• the Lakewood Theater and Lakewood shopping center outside the northern tip of the neighborhood
• the Lakewood branch of the Dallas Public Library at Abrams Rd. and Worth St., adjacent to the district
• Woodrow Wilson High School (Official Dallas Landmark, State of Texas Historical Marker, recognition by the National Trust for Historic Preservation) at Columbia Ave. and Glasgow St., near the district
• J.L. Long Middle School on the Woodrow Campus (City of Dallas Landmark)
• Lipscomb Elementary School at Worth and Lowell Sts.
• Junius Heights Baptist Church at Reiger Ave. and Augusta St.
• St. John Methodist Church at Beacon and Columbia Aves.
• Juliette Fowler Communities at Abrams Rd. and Reiger Avenue, and
• a small commercial center at Junius St. and Henderson Ave.
The neighborhood is served by the Dallas Independent School District. Residents are zoned to exemplary rated and Texas Monthly Best School William Lipscomb Elementary School (grades PK-5), J.L. Long Middle School, and Woodrow Wilson High School. Woodrow Wilson High School has been ranked by Newsweek Magazine for several years as being among the top high schools in America.
- Junius Heights
- 2006 School Feeder Patterns
-  Woodrow Wilson High
-  Woodrow Wilson Alumni
- Lipscomb (PK-5)
- http://www.dallaseasthomes.com/ Maurice Kerins, Realtor;