Juno at the 26th Tokyo International Film Festival
|Chinese name||Juno mak jai|
|Chinese name||麥浚龍 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||麦浚龙 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||mai4 jun4 long2 (Mandarin)|
|Jyutping||maak6 zeon3 lung4 (Cantonese)|
|Birth name||Bobby Mak Wan-Yin (麥允然)|
March 18, 1984 |
|Occupation||Singer, Record producer and actor|
Universal Music Group
|Alma mater||high school drop out|
Juno Mak is a Hong Kong singer, record producer, actor, and director.
Juno was born in Hong Kong. His father is an entrepreneur. Juno debut in 2002 as a commercial pop singer with Universal Music, and launched the first EP On the Road. To pave his career, he went to Japan to improve his dancing and singing skill under the tutor Sam (Maruyama Masaharu), a member of famous Japanese pop group TRF (aka TK Rave Factory). Two albums, On the Road and Next Step, were released with Universal Music. This led Juno to winning a number of Newcomer Awards.
Joining Silly Thing, Juno tried to develop a non-mainstream genre. After launching his Proto album, in 2005, Juno established his own style of music based on dark elements, the album Otherside, which was considered an important landmark in his music career. He got awarded the "Commercial Radio Ultimate Song Chart Awards 2005" for his song "Hermaphroditism".
In 2003, the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) led an anti-corruption investigation against a number of entertainment icons including Juno. The case against Juno was eventually withdrawn, but his name was tarnished by the incident.
In 2004, Juno developed a personal style of music based on dark elements, with the album Otherside considered an important landmark in his music career. He got awarded the "Commercial Radio Ultimate Song Chart Awards 2005" with the song "Hermaphroditism". It also won "Best Alternative Composition Award 2005" at the Composers and Authors Society of Hong Kong (CASH Awards).
In 2005, Juno created his experimental concept album, Chapel of Dawn: Chapter One, collaborating with a number of noted Japanese artists, like Kan Takagi, You the Rock and Shinco@Schadarappar. The album cover was designed by well-known artist James Jarvis, who also designed and produced a special figure set for the album. Juno was rewarded again with the "Commercial Radio Ultimate Song Chart Awards 2009”, for his song "3000 Streams of Slowly Running Water" from this album.
In 2007, Juno founded his own clothing brand "Chapel of Dawn". The initial collection was launched in Hong Kong and Paris. The collaboration item with "Mastermind Japan", designed especially for his concert "Juno Mute Live Music Show 2007", was even immediately sold-out.
After the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, Juno launched a charity campaign, based on sales of "Chapel of Dawn" brand in Hong Kong, Japan, France and the United States. Later on, Juno kept developing projects under the concept of "Chapel of Dawn" collaborating with partners like "Colette”, "Hello Kitty", "Backbone", Mihara Yasuhiro and many others. The proceeds were donated to charitable causes.
In 2010, his new film "Revenge: A Love Story", directed by Wong Ching-po, Juno is both the main actor and creator of the original story. The film was a hybrid of slasher and love story. Japanese actress Aoi Sora has also been starring in the film. “Revenge: A Love Story” caught the attention of judging panels of international film festivals and was nominated for the main competition of both the 33rd Moscow International Film Festival and the 15th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival. It was the only Hong Kong film nominated for the main competitions of the both film festivals. It was awarded “Best Textual Philosophy Award” by film media in the 33rd Moscow International Film Festival. “Revenge : A Love Story” achieved further success in the 15th` Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival. Juno’s impressive performance in the movie won Juno the title of “Best Actor”, another triumph for the film.
2011, Juno and Wong Ching-po, once again, work together in film “Let’s Go!”. Later, Juno took nine months to write his second film script “Rigor Mortis”. “Rigor Mortis” is Juno’s first directing debut. It was started shooting in June 2012. “Rigor Mortis” is a heavy drama. It is a film to pay tribute to 80s Hopping Vampire (Jiangshi) Genre. “Rigor Mortis” is currently going through the post-production process. Coming into theatre in 2013.
- August 17, 2002 - On The Road
- October 4, 2002 - On The Road (Special Version)
- March 19, 2003 - Next Step
- April 27, 2004 - Proto
- January 25, 2005 - Otherside
- December 6, 2005 - Walking Underneath + Archives
- April 20, 2007 - Chapel Of Dawn
- January 29, 2008 - Words Of Silence
- July 17, 2008 - Lam Man Lung (林民龍)
- November 21, 2008 - Why
- December 18, 2008 - Why (CD+DVD Version)
- September 17, 2009 - The Dream （天生地夢）
- April 22, 2010 - Nothing Lasts Forever
- January 12, 2011 - No-mind （無念）
- January 24, 2014 - Paradoxically, Yours（柔弱的角）
- September 20, 2015 - Addendum
- September 26, 2015 - Addendum (CD + Blu-ray Limited Edition)
- 2003 - Truth or Dare: 6th Floor Rear Flat
- 2010 - Dream Home
- 2010 - Revenge: A Love Story
- 2011 - Let's Go!
- 2013 - Rigor Mortis
- Nominated - Golden Horse Award for Best New Director
- 6 June, 2011 Chapel pf Dawn：Hermaphroditism
- 6 June, 2004 Chapel pf Dawn：ICAC's anti-corruption storm
- 6 June, 2005 Chapel pf Dawn：Best Alternative Composition Award 2005
- 6 June, 2005 Chapel pf Dawn：Commercial Radio Ultimate Song Chart Awards 2009
- 6 June, 2007 Chapel pf Dawn：Juno's Fashion Brand
- 6 June, 2008 Chapel pf Dawn：Juno's Charity Campaign
- 6 June, 2010 Chapel pf Dawn：Best Textual Philosophy Award
- 6 June, 2011 Chapel pf Dawn：Rigor Mortis