|Directed by||Paul Thomas Anderson|
|Music by||Shye Ben Tzur|
The Rajasthan Express
|Edited by||Andy Jurgensen|
Junun is a 2015 documentary film directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. It documents the making of the album of the same name in Mehrangarh Fort in Rajasthan, India, by the Israeli composer Shye Ben Tzur, English composer and Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood, Indian ensemble the Rajasthan Express, and Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich. Greenwood previously composed soundtracks for several Anderson films.
Junun was filmed at the Mehrangarh Fort in Rajasthan, India. Anderson used Godrich's drone to capture aerial footage of the fort. Production was secretive and announced two months prior to its release.
IndieWire gave Junun a grade of B+ and wrote that it "offers no clear-eyed statement on its subject, but develops an enveloping internal logic about the thrill of artistic innovation." Variety wrote that "Anderson’s aesthetics unobtrusively capture the magic of Greenwood and company’s global partnership. It’s a reverent tribute, and one that articulates its underlying themes in subtle, piercing snapshots." The Hollywood Reporter described it as "a transporting film that places us right there in the room, living and breathing a singular artistic experience. Trying to remain still in your seat is futile."
A.A. Dowd of The A.V. Club gave the film a grade of B and wrote: "Junun may be a minor work from a major director, but it provides plenty of bounce in the step and candy for the ears. It’s hard to ask much more of a music movie." The Guardian gave the film 3 out of 5, writing: "Given how fruitful and fascinating the collaboration has been between Anderson and Greenwood ... this returned favour is a little disappointing. Anderson has brought much less personality and invention to this project than Greenwood gave to [Anderson's] movies."
- "NYFF Review: Paul Thomas Anderson is Trying Something Different With 'Junun'". Indiewire. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- "Film Review: 'Junun'". Variety. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- "Junun is a lean and loose rock doc from Paul Thomas Anderson". www.avclub.com. Retrieved 2015-10-12.
- "Junun - Interview with Paul Thomas Anderson (post-screening) - NYFF 2015 global premiere". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Lyttelton, Oliver. "Secret New Documentary Directed By Paul Thomas Anderson, More Added To New York Film Festival Line Up". The Playlist. Indiewire. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- "'Junun': NYFF Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- Junun, retrieved 2018-07-11
- Felperin, Leslie. "Junun review – Paul Thomas Anderson and Jonny Greenwood rock Rajasthan". the Guardian. Retrieved 2015-10-11.