Jurica Vranješ in the match against Bayern Munich
|Date of birth||31 January 1980|
|Place of birth||Osijek, SFR Yugoslavia|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Central midfielder|
|2009–2010||→ Gençlerbirliği (loan)||13||(0)|
|2011–2012||Aris FC ||2||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12 November 2012.
Jurica Vranješ (pronounced [ˈjuritsa ˈʋraɲɛʃ]; born 31 January 1980) is a Croatian retired footballer . At his best, was a versatile midfielder who was valuable for club and country. Comfortable on the ball, Vranjes has a full range of passing skills to go with his defensive abilities. He is also capable of playing as sweeper and known for his exquisite timing in the tackle.
Vranješ was born in Osijek, Croatia. He started playing in NK Osijek where he played between 1997 and 1999. Some websites say Vranješ started his career at FK Vojvodina, but Vranješ himself explained how those websites confused their statistics with another player, Mićo Vranješ, playing back then in Vojvodina. After playing with Osijek in the Prva HNL, he then moved to Bayer Leverkusen where he played three seasons until moving to VfB Stuttgart in 2003 and finally to Werder Bremen in 2005. His current club announced on 24 August 2009 that he can leave the club. On 29 January 2010, he left SV Werder Bremen and was loaned to Gençlerbirliği for the rest of the season. In September 2011, Vranješ joined Aris Thessaloniki F.C.. He made his debut in the yellow jersey against Olympiakos F.C.. His contract was terminated on 10 January 2012. In May 2012, he joined HNK Rijeka in Croatia, where he played six games before his contract with the club was terminated in November 2012.
Vranješ was part of the Croatian national team in 2002 FIFA World Cup where he played in two games. He also played in the Croatian team at the 1998 Under-18 European Championship when Croatia won the third place.
- Bayer 04 Leverkusen
- Werder Bremen
- Bundesliga Runner-up: 2005-06, 2007-08
- DFB-Pokal Winner: 2009
- DFL-Ligapokal Winner: 2006
- DFL-Supercup Winner: 2009
- UEFA Cup Runner-up: 2008–09
- "Jurica Vranjes". footballdatabase.eu. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- "Jurica Vranjes" (in German). fussballdaten.de.
- "Jurica Vranjes". BBC Sport. 22 May 2002. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- Šoškić, V. (12 October 2009). "Igrači iz bivše SFRJ su svuda zaduženi za atmosferu". Danas.rs (in Serbian). Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Vranješ, Jurica at National-Football-Teams.com
- "Werder will Kader verkleinern". mz-web.de (in German). Deutsche Presse-Agentur. 24 August 2009. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "Genclerbirligi sign Werder Bremen midfielder". Ontheminute.com. 1 February 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- "S Vranješom potpisan sporazumni raskid" (in Croatian). Radio Rijeka. 12 November 2012. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jurica Vranješ.|