|Division of holding company (Pola Orbis Holdings)|
|Founded||1985 in South Australia, Australia|
|Products||Cosmetics & beauty|
|Parent||Pola Orbis Holdings|
Jurlique International Pty Ltd, is an Australian cosmetics manufacturer specialising in natural botanical-based skincare and cosmetics under the brand name Jurlique. Jurlique is considered ethical and environmentally friendly, although internationally it does submit some samples for animal testing as mandated by Chinese local laws for products sold in that market.
Jurlique was founded in 1985 in the Australian state of South Australia by Dr Jurgen Klein and his wife Ulrike. The company's name is based on a phonetic combination of their first names. The native German couple relocated to a farm in the Adelaide Hills a year prior to the launch of their brand, due to its warm climate. Jurgen was a biochemist and naturopath, who had previously worked for German holistic skincare brand Dr. Hauschka. and Ulrike was a horticulturalist and botanist.Today the farm is still part of the company and Jurlique claims to be the number two prestige skincare brand in Australia. The brand is sold in over 5,000 stores worldwide, including over 58 Jurlique concept stores, 18 of which located across Australia.
Originally created as a niche natural skincare range, in 2002 the company was purchased for $25 million by Australian billionaire businessman Kerry Packer. Packer's son James, along with American companies Triarc Companies and JH Partners resold the company in 2011. Public Japanese company Pola Orbis Holdings purchased Jurlique for $355 million. Orbis plans to expand the business, particularly into Asia.
- "Our Commitment". Jurlique.com. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- "Caring for the Earth". Jurlique. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "Did you know that some countries still require animal-testing of cosmetics?". choosecrueltyfree.org.au. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "Animal Testing Policy". Jurlique. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- Chesters, Anna (5 December 2011). "A brief history of Jurlique". The Guardian Fashion Blog. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Oasis for the Skin – Jurlique". Thandiekay. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "Our Heritage". Jurlique. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "JURLIQUE FOUNDER ULRIKE KLEIN ON BIODYNAMIC FARMING AND THE BUSINESS OF NATURAL BEAUTY". rescu.com.au. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "Jurlique". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- Heffernan, Madeleine (1 December 2011). "James Packer profits as cosmetics firm Jurlique sold for $335 million: Five lessons from a South Australian success story". Smartcompany.com.au. Retrieved 14 July 2013.