|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
Andy Kurtzig, CEOCharles Schwab, Board of Directors
|Services||Expert Information, Q&A website|
Number of employees
JustAnswer (also known as Pearl.com) is an online expert question and answer website that connects visitors with verified experts in several categories including medical, legal, automotive, veterinary, and tech support.
JustAnswer (then titled "ExpertAsk") was founded in 2003 by CEO Andy Kurtzig. He came up with the idea for the website while he and his wife were expecting their first child, as Kurtzig found that he had difficulty getting his doctor to answer questions outside of scheduled appointment times. Kurtzig decided to create a website that allowed people to ask questions and receive answers from doctors and other experts 24 hours a day.
The website operates by allowing users to ask questions and receive answers from doctors and other experts 24 hours a day. Users must sign up for an account and place a good faith deposit in the amount of their choosing, which may be paid to the person who answers the question. If users are satisfied with the answer, they may provide a positive rating and the expert will receive a portion of the deposit as determined by JustAnswer's current Terms of Service and Experts Agreement. If the user is not satisfied, they have the option to seek another answer or to receive a refund. If the user fails to provide a positive rating, and does not request a refund within 30 days of the date that the answer was received, then the expert will receive nothing for the answer, and JustAnswer will retain 100% of the deposit. The length of the response time will differ depending on "how fair Experts believe the offered price to be (as compared to the complexity of the question and speed required)." The site also offers live chat.
In 2004 the company changed its name to JustAnswer and later established a headquarters in the basement of a Chapel located in the Presidio of San Francisco, a park and former military base in northern California. JustAnswer has offices in multiple countries, offers services in multiple languages, and has been featured in a Google Case Study focusing on how it used Google Adwords to help consumers and was also granted status for several key inventions.
In 2015, the company released an article announcing a "quality audit" to the expert community. The audit "reviewed and evaluated over 3,000 randomly selected questions from over 200 high-volume Experts"—for the following qualities: profile photo; expert bio; spelling and grammar; responsiveness; cues & empathy; appropriate language; clarity & detail; etiquette. The article states: "These are qualities that customers value most. Note that we did NOT evaluate the accuracy of [expert] responses."
- "Justanswer Terms of Service". Section 2.5.1. 15 April 2014. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
While JustAnswer strives to admit only high-quality Experts onto the Site, use of the term “Expert” by JustAnswer and on the Site is only meant to describe users of the Site who answer questions on the Site, and not to guarantee any particular level of expertise.
- Britt, Phil (6 August 2014). "Email Is Just Answer's Answer to Customer Engangement". Direct Marketing News. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Hoge, Patrick (21 September 2012). "Startup Spotlight: A family of entrepreneurs". Business Journals. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Thrasher, Rob (15 January 2010). "SpotLight on Andy Kurtzig - CEO& Founder JustAnswer.com". Blog Talk Radio. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Robinson, Bill (19 June 2012). "A Pearl (.com) Comes Out of Just Answer.com". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Smith, John (24 May 2010). "JustAnswer.com offers team of experts for your family, anytime". Daily Finance. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Justanswer Terms of Service". Justanswer, LLC. 15 April 2014. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Justanswer Experts Agreement, Section 7". Justanswer, LLC. 15 April 2014. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Justanswer Terms of Service, Section 3.6". Justanswer, LLC. 9 April 2014. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- Gage, Deborah (19 June 2012). "Andy Kurtzig Raises $25M To Take Expert Services Online With Pearl.com". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Geddes, Brad (2010). Advanced Google AdWords. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9780470640739.
- "JustAnswer Uses Google AdWords to Help Consumers Get Timely Expert Answers". PR Newswire. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Perez, Sarah (19 June 2012). "JustAnswer Becomes Pearl.com, Raises $25 Million Series A". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Nguyen, Anh (25 June 2015). "Quality Audit 2015: Top Experts, Key Takeaways and Expert Insights". Justanswer, LLC. Retrieved 6 July 2015.