Just Getting Started (film)
|Just Getting Started|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ron Shelton|
|Written by||Ron Shelton|
|Music by||Alex Wurman|
|Edited by||Paul Seydor|
|Distributed by||Broad Green Pictures|
|Box office||$7.6 million|
Just Getting Started is a 2017 American action comedy film directed and written by Ron Shelton, his first feature film since Hollywood Homicide (2003). The film stars Morgan Freeman, Tommy Lee Jones, Rene Russo, and Elizabeth Ashley; it also marks the final film appearance of Glenne Headly, who died in June 2017. The plot follows an ex-FBI agent who must put aside his personal feud with a former mob lawyer at a retirement home when the mafia comes to kill the pair. It was released in the United States on December 8, 2017, by Broad Green Pictures, was panned by critics and was a box office bomb, grossing just $7 million against its $22 million budget.
Defense lawyer Duke, who once defended the heads of the world's most dangerous criminal teams, now manages the luxury resort Villa Capri in Palm Springs, California. Leo, a former FBI agent, arrives at the resort and repeatedly beats Duke at every competition. As manager of the resort, Duke is initially threatened by the newcomer's activities with the ladies and competitive nature. Their competition even extends to a rivalry over Suzie, the regional director of the resort chain. During the competitions Duke's life is put in danger multiple times and he realizes that the mafia has found him and is attempting to kill him. Duke and Leo must work together to defeat the mafia and save Duke's life during the Christmas season at Villa Capri.
- Morgan Freeman as Duke Diver
- Tommy Lee Jones as Leo McKay
- Rene Russo as Suzie Quinces
- Glenne Headly as Margarite
- Sheryl Lee Ralph as Roberta
- Elizabeth Ashley as Lily
- Kristen Rakes as Ginger
- Joe Pantoliano as Joey
- Graham Beckel as Burt
- Mel Raido as Oscar
- George Wallace as Larry
- Nick Peine as Jimmy
- Jane Seymour as Delilah
- Johnny Mathis as Johnny Mathis
On May 14, 2016, it was announced that Broad Green Pictures would co-produce the film under the title Villa Capri with Entertainment One, with direction by Ron Shelton, starring Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones. On June 9, 2016, it was announced that Rene Russo was cast in a leading role alongside Freeman and Jones. Filming began in New Mexico on August 15, 2016. In September 2017, the film was retitled from Villa Capri to Just Getting Started.
In the United States and Canada, Just Getting Started was released on December 8, 2017, alongside the wide expansion of The Disaster Artist, and was projected to gross around $5 million from 2,146 theaters in opening weekend. It ended up debuting to $3.2 million, finishing 10th at the box office. When adjusting for inflation, it was the 21st worst opening of all-time. In its second weekend the film dropped 69% to $978,923, finishing 14th. In its third week the film made $22,092 from 48 theaters, dropping 98%.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 5% based on 20 reviews, with an average rating of 2/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "A thoroughly unfunny misfire, Just Getting Started manages the incredible feat of wasting more than a century of combined acting experience from its three talented leads." On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating to reviews, the film holds a weighted average score of 21 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "C" on an A+ to F scale.
- "Just Getting Started". AMC Theatres. Retrieved October 22, 2017.
- "Just Getting Started (2017)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved July 22, 2018.
- Glenne Headly, ‘Dick Tracy’ and ‘Lonesome Dove’ Star, Dies at 63
- D'Alessandro, Anthony. "Tommy Lee Jones-Morgan Freeman Action Comedy 'Villa Capri' Relocates To Thanksgiving". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "US Briefs: 'Villa Capri' ready for New Mexico shoot". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "'American Horror Story' Star Kristen Rakes Joins 'Villa Capri'". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- McNary, Dave (14 May 2016). "Broad Green Buys Morgan Freeman-Tommy Lee Jones' Comedy 'Villa Capri'". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Morgan Freeman, Tommy Lee Jones Team Up for Action Comedy 'Villa Capri' (Exclusive)". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (14 May 2016). "Broad Green Checks Into Morgan Freeman-Tommy Lee Jones Comedy 'Villa Capri'; Pic To Open Aug. 2017 – Cannes". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Busch, Anita (9 June 2016). "Rene Russo Negotiating To Join Morgan Freeman, Tommy Lee Jones In 'Villa Capri'". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Volkov, Anton Volkov (September 13, 2017). "'Villa Capri' Is Now 'Just Getting Started' – First Trailer This Week". Trailer Track. Retrieved September 14, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (December 6, 2017). "'Coco' Heading for Third Consecutive U.S. Box Office Victory". Variety. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 8, 2017). "'Coco' Topping Another Sleepy Weekend Of Holdovers & Awards Season Breakouts Before 'Last Jedi' Takes Over B.O." Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 17, 2017). "'The Last Jedi' Opening To $219M: How Disney Continues To Win With The 'Star Wars' Franchise". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- "Just Getting Started (2017)". The Numbers. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- "Just Getting Started (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- "Just Getting Started reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 14, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 8, 2017). "'Coco' Topping Another Sleepy Weekend Of Holdovers & Awards Season Breakouts Before 'Last Jedi' Takes Over B.O." Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 9, 2017.