Just Got Paid (Johnny Kemp song)
|"Just Got Paid"|
|Single by Johnny Kemp|
|from the album Secrets of Flying|
|Released||January 19, 1988|
|Format||12-inch single, Maxi single|
|Genre||New jack swing|
|Length||5:33 (album version)|
|Songwriter(s)||Teddy Riley, Aaron Hall, Gene Griffin, Johnny Kemp|
|Johnny Kemp singles chronology|
"Just Got Paid" is a million-selling, Platinum certified 1988 single by Bahamian R&B singer–songwriter Johnny Kemp. The song hit No. 1 on the U.S. R&B and Dance charts and reached the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. It received a Grammy Award nomination for Best R&B Song at the 31st Grammy Awards in 1989. It lost out to Anita Baker's "Giving You the Best That I Got".
The song started as an instrumental track for which Keith Sweat brought in Kemp to write lyrics. Sweat ultimately passed on the song that was originally written for his 1987 debut Make It Last Forever. Kemp recorded a demo of the new song, intending for it to be used by another singer; his "scratch vocal" ended up on the final release.
The song was later covered by NSYNC on their album No Strings Attached (which was coincidentally co-produced by the song's original co-writer Teddy Riley), and was sampled by Kurupt on the song entitled "At It Again" off his Space Boogie: Smoke Oddessey album.
The song was used in the 2000 romantic film Love & Basketball.
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||10|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Black Singles||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||1|
|Canada RPM Magazine||50|
|Dutch Top 40||19|
- Josephs, Brian (July 20, 2012). "The 25 Best New Jack Swing Songs". Complex. Retrieved July 26, 2016.
- Joel Whitburn Presents Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004, 2004
- Joel Whitburn's Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003, 2004
- Murphy, Keith. "Full Clip: Teddy Riley Runs Down His Entire Catalogue Ft. Keith Sweat, Guy, Bobby Brown, Michael Jackson, Blackstreet, and Lady Gaga". vibe.com. SpinMedia. Retrieved 2015-10-05.
- "Just Got Paid - Johnny Kemp : Listen, Appearances, Song Review : AllMusic". Retrieved 19 August 2011.
"The Promise" by When in Rome
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
June 18, 1988
"Trouble" by Nia Peeples
"Mercedes Boy" by Pebbles
|Billboard Hot Black Singles number-one single
May 28 – June 4, 1988
"Little Walter" by Tony! Toni! Tone!