Just Got Paid (Sigala song)
|"Just Got Paid"|
|Single by Sigala, Ella Eyre and Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana|
|from the album Brighter Days|
|Released||7 September 2018|
|Genre||Funk, dance-pop, house|
|Sigala singles chronology|
|Meghan Trainor singles chronology|
|Ella Eyre singles chronology|
|French Montana singles chronology|
"Just Got Paid" is a song by English DJ and record producer Sigala, singer Ella Eyre, and American singer-songwriter Meghan Trainor from the former of the three's debut studio album, Brighter Days (2018). The song features a guest appearance by rapper French Montana. The performers co-wrote it with Steve Manovski, George Astasio, Jon Shave, Nile Rodgers, and Jason Pebworth, with production from Sigala, Manovski and Joakim Jarl. Ministry of Sound Recordings and B1 Recordings released it on 7 September 2018, as the tenth and final single from the album. The funk and electronic dance music song has a disco vibe, "poppy" vocals and its lyrics deal with living a luxurious lifestyle despite not being wealthy.
"Just Got Paid" received generally positive reviews from music critics. The song reached number 11 on the UK Singles Chart, number 7 on the Scottish Singles Chart and number 12 on the Irish Singles Chart. An accompanying music video was released on 10 October 2018, it features Trainor and Eyre quitting their jobs and performing a dance routine together. Sigala and Eyre performed the song several times for Capital FM, during the 2018 Jingle Bell Ball as well as the 2019 Summertime Ball and Jingle Bell Ball.
Background and composition
Sigala and Ella Eyre shared the same manager, and released their first collaboration "Came Here for Love" on 9 June 2017. In 2018, Meghan Trainor's then-upcoming third major-label studio album Treat Myself (2020) had been delayed by her management who encouraged her to work on more collaborations, as she had few of them in the past. Sigala, Eyre and Trainor co-wrote "Just Got Paid" with Steve Manovski, French Montana, George Astasio, Jon Shave, Nile Rodgers and Jason Pebworth, with production being solely handled by Sigala, Manovski and Joakim Jarl. The song subsequently led toward Trainor developing the album's sound, with her hiring Sigala to co-write and produce its ninth track "Blink".
"Just Got Paid" incorporates several music genres, including funk and electronic dance music along with a disco vibe. The song is composed of horns and riffs, with lyrics about payday that Radio.com's LA described as "fun-filled, youthful, and careless". Trainor and Eyre deliver "poppy" vocals over its production, which utilises the "ka-ching" sound effect made by a cash register. The song is about living a luxurious lifestyle in spite of not being wealthy, with Eyre's verse seeing her attempting to save money but then giving it and spending it, while Trainor chants about "work[ing] to the bone" and thus celebrating the payout.
Release and promotion
Ministry of Sound and B1 Recordings released "Just Got Paid" for digital download and streaming as a collaboration between the trio, with a featured verse from French Montana, on 7 September 2018, as the tenth single from Sigala's debut studio album Brighter Days. The record labels serviced the song to contemporary hit radio in Australia on the same day and in the United Kingdom on 21 September, while Sony Music sent it to the radio format in Italy on 14 September. A Remix EP to promote the song was released on 30 November 2018, featuring remixes of the song by the Him, M-22 and Dean-E-G.
The music video for "Just Got Paid" was released on 10 October 2018. It commences with Eyre working at a laundromat where she starts a party. Trainor works a job at the counter of a grocery store, from which she departs as soon as receiving her paycheque. The two of them unite at a parking lot and perform a dance routine, while confetti falls from the sky. However, Montana does not appear in the video. Sigala and Eyre performed "Just Got Paid" for Capital FM numerous times, during the 2018 Jingle Bell Ball, and in 2019 at the Summertime Ball and Jingle Bell Ball, respectively.
"Just Got Paid" was met with generally positive reviews from music critics. LA described the song as an "incredibly hot new vibe", noting that it includes "enough funk to make Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson do a double take", and added that Montana "[spat] the smoothest bars [...] with enough charisma to make your head bounce". The track was listed among its release week's top five songs to listen to by Raisa Bruner of Time, who dubbed it the "song you put at the top [of] your going-out-after-payday playlist" and declared it "hard not to get to toe-tapping" over the production. Idolator's Mike Nied wrote that Trainor and Eyre "steal the show with their impeccable vocals" on the "fiery bop", and further called it "infectious and carefree" as well as a "floor filler [that] sounds like a serious hit". Mike Wass of the same website labelled the song a "feel-good anthem". A writer for Capital FM wrote that "when you combine Sigala and Ella Eyre, you just get bangers" and cited "Just Got Paid" as an example. Billboard's Rania Aniftos called the song a "catchy tune", while The Guardian's Graeme Virtue called it a "triumphant" and "celebratory anti-austerity anthem that wears its daffy cash register 'ding' with pride".
"Just Got Paid" reached number 11 on the UK Singles Chart and was certified platinum by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) in the country, and reached numbers 7 and 12 in Scotland and Ireland, respectively. It peaked at number one on Sri Lanka's Yes FM chart. Other top 100 peak positions for "Just Got Paid" included number 21 on Hungary's Rádiós Top 40 chart, number 23 on Croatia's HRT chart, number 39 on Slovakia's Rádió Top 100 chart, as well as at numbers 44, 63 and 94 on the Polish Airplay Top 100, Romania's Airplay 100 and Czech Republic's Rádió Top 100 charts, respectively. The song was additionally certified gold in Australia and Poland by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) and the Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry (ZPAV), respectively.
- Digital download / streaming
- "Just Got Paid" – 3:38
- Remix EP
- "Just Got Paid" (The Him Remix) – 3:12
- "Just Got Paid" (M-22 Remix) – 3:43
- "Just Got Paid" (Dean-E-G Remix) – 3:52
Credits and personnel
- Sigala – producer, background vocals, engineer, mastering engineer, mixing engineer, programmer
- Ella Eyre – lead vocals
- Meghan Trainor – lead vocals
- French Montana – featured vocals
- Joakim Jarl – producer
- Steve Manovski – producer, background vocals, drums
- Jerry Barnes – assistant producer, bass
- Nile Rodgers – guitar
- Emily McGregor – strings
- Adrian Veale – trumpet
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||600,000|
Sales+streaming figures based on certification alone.
|Various||7 September 2018||Original|||
|Australia||Contemporary hit radio|||
|Italy||14 September 2018||Sony|||
|United Kingdom||21 September 2018||
|Various||30 November 2018||
- Copsey, Rob (9 June 2017). "Sigala on teaming up with Ella Eyre on new single Came Here For Love, working with Kylie and more". Official Charts Company. Archived from the original on 10 August 2019. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- Feeney, Nolan (14 January 2020). "Pop Music Is Changing, So Meghan Trainor Did Too". Billboard. Archived from the original on 4 April 2020. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "Credits / Just Got Paid / Sigala". Tidal. Archived from the original on 2 July 2020. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- Treat Myself (booklet). Meghan Trainor. Epic Records. 2020.CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) (link)
- Bruner, Raisa (7 September 2018). "5 Songs You Need to Listen to This Week". Time. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- Nied, Mike (7 September 2018). "Meghan Trainor, Ella Eyre & French Montana Let Loose On Sigala's 'Just Got Paid'". Idolator. Archived from the original on 20 September 2018. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- LA (7 September 2018). "Meghan Trainor + French Montana 'Just Got Paid' With Sigala + Ella Eyre". Radio.com. Archived from the original on 15 November 2019. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- "Sigala: Just Got Paid". Google Play. 7 September 2018. Retrieved 17 June 2020.
- "Singles To Radio". The Music Network. Archived from the original on 17 June 2020. Retrieved 17 June 2020.
- "Radio 1 Playlist". BBC. Archived from the original on 21 September 2018.
- "Sigala 'Just Got Paid' | (Radio Date: 14/09/2018)" (in Italian). Radio Airplay SRL. Retrieved 17 June 2020.
- "Sigala: Just Got Paid (Remixes)". Google Play. 30 November 2018. Retrieved 23 July 2020.
- Wass, Mike (10 October 2018). "Meghan Trainor & Ella Eyre Show Out In Sigala's 'Just Got Paid' Video". Idolator. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Aniftos, Rania (10 October 2018). "Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor Celebrate Payday in Sigala's 'Just Got Paid' Music Video". Billboard. Archived from the original on 11 October 2018. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "Sigala Brought All His Biggest Dance Anthems To A Lively #CapitalJBB Set". Capital FM. 9 December 2018. Archived from the original on 3 July 2020. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- "Sigala's #CapitalSTB Set Was A Whole Mood & Included Some Fierce Collaborators". Capital FM. 8 June 2019. Archived from the original on 18 June 2020. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- "Sigala Lights Up The O2 At Capital's Jingle Bell Ball 2019". Capital FM. 9 December 2019. Archived from the original on 2 July 2020. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- "Sigala And Ella Eyre Want The Ultimate DJ Collab, Feat. Jax Jones And Calvin Harris". Capital FM. 7 September 2018. Archived from the original on 21 September 2018. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- Virtue, Graeme (10 February 2020). "Sigala review – one-man party-starter defies Storm Ciara with tropical show". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 10 February 2020. Retrieved 23 July 2020.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "British single certifications – Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana – Just Got Paid". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 26 February 2020.Select singles in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type Just Got Paid in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- "IRMA – Irish Charts". Irish Recorded Music Association. Archived from the original on 14 June 2017. Retrieved 17 November 2018. Select 2018 as the year and 16-Nov-2018 as the week.CS1 maint: postscript (link)
- "Sri Lanka Airplay – Week 42, 2019". Charts Around The World. Archived from the original on 2 May 2019. Retrieved 15 April 2019.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "Croatia ARC Top 100". HRT. Archived from the original on 21 November 2018. Retrieved 27 November 2018.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201907 into search. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100. Retrieved 8 October 2018.
- Arvunescu, Victor (2 December 2018). "Top Airplay 100 – Început de decembrie pe ritm djadja!" [Top Airplay 100 – December kicks off in djadja rhythms!] (in Romanian). Un site de muzică. Archived from the original on 2 December 2018. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Change the chart to CZ – RADIO – TOP 100 and insert 201848 into search. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2019 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on 2020-07-29. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Wyróżnienia - Złote płyty CD - Archiwum - Przyznane w 2019 roku" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- "Ultratop.be – Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor feat. French Montana – Just Got Paid" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "Ultratop.be – Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor feat. French Montana – Just Got Paid" (in French). Ultratip. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Ultratop.be – Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor feat. French Montana – Just Got Paid" (in Dutch). Ultratop Dance. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "NZ Hot Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. 22 September 2018. Archived from the original on 14 September 2018.
- "Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor feat. French Montana – Just Got Paid – Tophit 300 General" (in Russian). Tophit. Archived from the original on 19 July 2019. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- "Vecka 37, 14 september 2018". Sverigetopplistan. Archived from the original on 26 December 2015. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- "Sigala Chart History (Hot Dance/Electronic Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Rádiós Top 100 - hallgatottsági adatok alapján - 2019". MAHASZ. Archived from the original on 4 February 2020. Retrieved 19 March 2020.
- "Top AFP - Audiogest - Top 3000 Singles + EPs Digitais" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Associação Fonográfica Portuguesa. Retrieved September 21, 2020.