Just Got Started Lovin' You
|"Just Got Started Lovin' You"|
|Single by James Otto|
|from the album Sunset Man|
|Released||July 3, 2007|
|James Otto singles chronology|
"Just Got Started Lovin' You" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist James Otto. It was released in July 2007 as the first single from his album Sunset Man. On the Hot Country Songs chart dated for May 17, 2008, the song has also become Otto's first (and to date, his only) number-one hit. The song was also the number one song on Billboard's year-end 2008 Hot Country Songs chart.
Background and writing
James Otto had placed a telephone call to his friend, songwriter Jim Femino, when Femino and D. Vincent Williams were shopping at a grocery store in Nashville, Tennessee. Otto had wanted to write a song with Femino, and Femino suggested bringing Williams (who had never met Otto before) with him.
When they met Otto at Williams' house, Williams stated that he noticed a sex appeal in Otto's material, comparing the singer to Conway Twitty. Williams then came up with a melody that he "thought was cool", and put down the melody on his computer; after Otto heard the tune, he felt that it "suggested a sexy lyric and came from a sexy spot", and eventually came up with the title "Just Got Started Lovin' You". The three then recorded a work tape and played it for singer and producer John Rich (of Big & Rich), who chose it as the first single from Otto's Sunset Man album.
Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song a B grade, calling it "a smooth but not sappy romantic ballad." He also said that he isn't "reinventing the wheel, but he sounds comfortable and self-assured."
The music video was directed by Ryan Smith and was filmed on November 26, 2007.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||27|
|US Billboard Pop 100||65|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||71|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
- Morris, Edward (2008-05-10). "At Last, James Otto Scores No. 1 Song". CMT.com. Retrieved 2008-05-14.
- Horner, Alanna (2008-06-16). "Story Behind the Song: A Conway Kind of Hit". Country Weekly. 15 (12): 18.
- "'Just Got Started Lovin' You' sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
- Just Got Started Lovin' You review by Kevin John Coyne
- "James Otto Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "James Otto Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "James Otto Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Retrieved December 13, 2009.