|Developer(s)||Daybreak Game Company|
|Publisher(s)||Daybreak Game Company|
|Release||January 15, 2015|
|Genre(s)||Massively multiplayer online, survival|
Just Survive was a survival massively multiplayer online game developed and published by Daybreak Game Company for Microsoft Windows. The game, originally known as H1Z1 and later as H1Z1: Just Survive, is set during a zombie apocalypse in a rural area of the United States. In it, players attempt to survive against the natural elements such as wolves and bears, hordes of zombies, and thousands of potentially hostile survivors through interaction, scavenging for resources, building shelters, and crafting. The game released in early access in January 2015, selling over a million copies within two months, before being discontinued in October 2018.
The gameplay of Just Survive emphasized multiplayer cooperation, trading, and team-building. Players scavenge supplies, craft items, and build strongholds to defend against the zombie horde. The main focus of the game involved surviving against zombies through teamwork with other players, rather than having a player versus player (PvP) environment with zombies as a backdrop.
The game was released on Steam as an early access title on January 15, 2015. At release, the game suffered from severe technical issues. Players reported that they could not login to their account or enter any active server. Framerate issues, lack of voice chat and AI problems were also among the problems reported. A new bug, which made all servers go offline, was also introduced to the game after the developer released a patch to fix other problems. Despite the unstable launch, the game sold over a million copies within two months.
In February 2016, it was announced by Daybreak that the game is originally known as simply H1Z1 had been split into two separate projects with their own dedicated development teams, subtitled Just Survive and King of the Kill. In August 2017, the game's title dropped the H1Z1 brand name, becoming simply Just Survive. The game was delisted for purchase on August 26, 2018, all of these skins are devalued and unusable. Its servers being shut down on October 24, 2018.
- Saed, Sherif. "H1Z1 PS4 version news coming soon, teases dev". vg247. vg247. Retrieved 26 January 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Jones, Ben. "New Lead Designer". h1z1.com. Retrieved 12 February 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hall, Charlie. "H1Z1 is splitting into two games, headed to consoles". Polygon. Retrieved 24 February 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Just Survive Game Overview". Retrieved 8 December 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "H1Z1 Developer Interview with Adam "The Zombie" Clegg". MMO Attack. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Brian Albert (2014-12-08). "H1Z1 early access date revealed". IGN. Retrieved 2015-03-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Handrahan, Matthew (19 January 2015). "Sony's H1Z1 plagued by technical issues at launch". Gameindustry.biz. Retrieved 3 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Crossley, Rob (21 January 2015). "Server Woes Worsen Following H1Z1's Disaster Launch". GameSpot. Retrieved March 24, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Crossley, Rob (24 March 2015). "Zombie MMO H1Z1 Hits 1m Sales". GameSpot. Retrieved 24 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Breaking News: H1Z1 is Evolving". H1Z1.com. Retrieved 25 February 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hall, Charlie. "H1Z1's survival game is dropping the H1Z1 part". Polygon. Retrieved 4 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "A Message from the Just Survive Team". justsurvive.com. Retrieved 25 August 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)