Just What I Am
|"Just What I Am"|
|Single by Kid Cudi featuring King Chip|
|from the album Indicud|
|Released||October 2, 2012|
|Genre||Hip hop, trip hop|
|Label||GOOD Music, Universal Republic|
|Writer(s)||Scott Mescudi, Charles Worth|
|Kid Cudi singles chronology|
"Just What I Am" is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kid Cudi, released on October 2, 2012 as the lead single from his third studio album Indicud (2013). The song, produced by Cudi himself, features a guest appearance from his longtime friend, frequent collaborator and fellow Cleveland rapper King Chip (formerly known as Chip tha Ripper). As of January 26th, 2016 "Just What I Am" has reached Platinum status by The RIAA. 
Initially, an un-mastered version of the song was released by Kid Cudi via Complex on August 13, 2012, with the title stylized as "Just What Iam". Kid Cudi announced the song's official mastered release on September 21, 2012. The official cover art for the iTunes release was revealed via Cudi's Facebook page on September 25, 2012. Complex named the song #40 of the best 50 songs of 2012.
On September 10, 2012 Cudi announced via his Twitter feed that he would be filming a music video for "Just What I Am" in Los Angeles. He also revealed he wanted his fans to be involved. Kid Cudi later tweeted: "the video was designed to be watched on acid and/or shrooms." The video, which marked Cudi's directorial debut, premiered November 6, 2012 on VEVO. Electro house DJ Steve Aoki and fellow American rapper Mac Miller make cameo appearances. The visual are seen in a baroque frame, Cudi explained on Twitter saying: "all my videos will be in a baroque frame. I create art, so it will be presented as such. ART IN MOTION"
In a 2013 interview with Complex, Cudi explained why he used certain imagery in the visuals for "Just What I Am":
"Yeah, it’s funny. People in my life know that I’m a fucking goofball. I’m a prankster and I clown a lot. In any moment in time, I’ll incorporate some jokes in my music or raps or whatever. And all throughout my career I’ve noticed that the main thing people try to point out is the Illuminati, Satanic symbols and references in music videos—specifically in my shit. And like, in no way shape or form am I the type of individual that will be ever thinking of that type of shit while we were working on these videos. But it’s so interesting to see how sure of themselves people are, talking about this. It’s like, 'No, I know it, I know it! He sold his soul to the devil! I know he’s friends with Satan! I can feel it.' You know what I mean? Niggas be knowing I guess. So my way of tricking everybody, being that I had that control, I was like, 'Oh man. Wouldn’t it be cool if we just threw a bunch of fucking Satanic devil-worship Illuminati symbols into the video, just like abruptly popping up all over the place and fuck people up?' Just to fuck with them and then not say anything, like wait months and not say shit. Just let ‘em trip out, just let ‘em talk. Ignore it if it comes up in conversation. It was an experiment, like we totally experimented with this. Right now as we speak, it’s still going on. Kids are so outraged."
|US Billboard Hot 100||54|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||17|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||13|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
Since May 2013, RIAA certifications for digital singles include on-demand audio and video song streams in addition to downloads.
|United States||October 2, 2012||Digital download||Universal Republic|
|United States||October 30, 2012||Rhythm/Crossover Radio||Universal Republic|
- ""Just What I Am"...". Facebook. 2012-09-21. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Premiere: Kid Cudi f/ King Chip "Just What Iam"". Complex. 2012-08-13. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Wall Photos". Facebook. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Kid Cudi Will Be Making a Music Video for "Just What Iam", Invites Fans to Participate". DatNewCudi.com. 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- "VIDEO: KID CUDI F/ KING CHIP – 'JUST WHAT I AM'". Rap-Up. November 6, 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Depland, Michael (November 7, 2012). "New Video: Kid Cudi Featuring King Chip, 'Just What I Am' (NSFW)". MTV Music. MTV Networks. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- La Puma, Joe (January 17, 2013). "Interview: Kid Cudi Talks Quitting Weed, Bossing Up, Illuminati Rumors, and "MOTM III"". Complex. Retrieved March 7, 2013.
- "Australian-charts.com – Kid Cudi feat. King Chip – Just What I Am". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Lescharts.com – Kid Cudi – Just What I Am" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Kid Cudi – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Kid Cudi. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- "Kid Cudi – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Kid Cudi. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- "Kid Cudi – Chart history" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for Kid Cudi. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- "Just What I Am - RIAA". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- Cite error: The named reference
us_saleswas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "RIAA Adds Digital Streams To Historic Gold & Platinum Awards". Recording Industry Association of America. May 9, 2013. Archived from the original on May 22, 2016. Retrieved 2013-05-09.
- "Just What I Am (feat. King Chip) – Single by Kid Cudi". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved October 3, 2012.