This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Justin Chancellor appearing with Tool at the Roskilde festival in 2006.
|Birth name||Justin Gunnar Walter Chancellor|
|Born||19 November 1971|
Justin Gunnar Walter Chancellor (born 19 November 1971) is an English musician formerly in the band Peach but best known as the bass player for progressive metal band Tool. Chancellor is of English and Norwegian descent. After settling in the US, along with his engagement in his musical projects, he and his wife Shelee Dykman Chancellor ran a store called Lobal Orning in Topanga, California, dedicated to music and literature "that shaped and changed" both of them. The store closed in 2008. He started M.T.Void music project with Piotr "Glaca" Mohammed from Sweet Noise. In October 2012, Chancellor featured as bass player on the song "In the Spirit Of..." on The Fusion Syndicate album, released by Cleopatra Records. His track also appears on the 2014 album The Prog Box.
Chancellor was educated at Tonbridge School in Kent, England, where he was the bass player for a school band named Slice of Life and used to perform a cover version of Corey Hart's "Sunglasses at Night" in the dining room of his boarding house. The band released an eponymously titled tape featuring a song of the same name. Chancellor went on to study at Durham University. He later joined the band Peach.
Peach released an album and supported Tool in the early 1990s in England. In September 1995, Justin moved to the United States and joined Tool full-time. He has remained with them since.
- Chancellor played bass on the Isis song 'Altered Course' on their 2004 album Panopticon.
- Chancellor also provided additional sounds/bass guitar on Isis song "Weight" on their 2006 live Clearing the Eye [DVD].
- Additional bass on the title track of Intronaut's 2010 album,Valley of Smoke.
- Chancellor narrated on the Primus track "The Valley" from their 2017 album The Desaturating Seven.
- In May 2018, Chancellor collaborated with Death Grips in the album Year of the Snitch, providing bass on the track "Disappointed".
- Mahaffey, Joel (6 August 2001). "The Tool Page: Justin Chancellor Biography". The Tool Page (t.d.n).
- "TOOL: The Collective Unconscious". Toolarmy.com. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "The Fusion Syndicate (CD) | Cleopatra Records : Store". Cleorecs.com. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Yoo, Noah (15 March 2018). "Death Grips Working With Tool's Justin Chancellor on New Album". Pitchfork. Retrieved 12 May 2019.