||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Chon in 2009
|Born||Justin Jitae Chon
May 29, 1981
Garden Grove, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Sasha Egorova (m. 2014)|
Chon was born in Garden Grove, California and raised in Irvine, California. He is of South Korean descent. His father, Sang, who worked in show business, was a child actor in South Korea, and was often in black-and-white films. Chon grew up watching his father's films, which eventually inspired him to pursue acting. His mother, Kyung, is a pianist and homemaker.
Chon was educated at University High School in his home city of Irvine in California, where he played saxophone in the marching band, followed by the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, where he majored in Business Administration. As he was required to learn a language as a part of his course, he started learning Japanese, then switched to Korean (his parents' native tongue). In order to improve his ability in the language, he spent time in South Korea as part of a year abroad in his junior year. During the first semester, he lived in the dorms of Yonsei University, in the capital, Seoul.
Chon started acting in 2005 in shows such as Jack & Bobby and Taki & Luci. He came to fame in 2006 when he played Peter Wu in the Disney Channel film Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior. He also played Tony Lee in the Nickelodeon sitcom Just Jordan. In 2008, he played Eric Yorkie in the film Twilight, based on the book by Stephenie Meyer. Justin reprised his role as Eric Yorkie in the Twilight sequel New Moon. He starred as the central character, Jeff Chang, in the film 21 & Over in 2013. He also appeared in the independent film Innocent Blood that same year. In 2014, Chon appeared as a lead character in crime drama film Revenge of the Green Dragons, which was executive produced by Martin Scorsese. In 2015, Chon starred as Sid Park, the trouble-making main character influenced by rocker culture in the independent film Seoul Searching, directed by Benson Lee, which made its premiere at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival.In 2016, Justin held a role in the Korean American comedy drama Dramaworld.
Chon also co-wrote (with Kevin Wu), directed, executive produced, and starred in the 2015 feature film Man Up. The film made its premiere at the 2015 CAAMFest. It was also screened at the 2015 Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival, making its West Coast premiere there. The film is set in Hawaii and also stars Kevin Wu, Amy Hill, Parvesh Cheena, Nichole Bloom, Dion Basco, Samantha Futerman and more. In March 2015, the film was acquired by "Off the Dock", a digital studio owned by Lakeshore Entertainment.
Chon has also directed several digital short films that are viewable on his YouTube Channel, including You're Stoopid (2013), Full Circle (2013) and 90 Day Visa (2015).
Chon co-owns a chain of stores, named the Attic, in California. In January 2015, he began uploading edited vlogs to his YouTube channel on a weekly basis. Since November 2015, he has uploaded edited vlogs to the channel on a daily basis. He also creates short comedy videos on YouTube with his friends. He has appeared in videos on Nigahiga's YouTube channel. In 2016, Chon wrote an editorial for NBC about the racism he faced in Hollywood roles and auditions.
After dating for over a year, he married his girlfriend Sasha Egorova in October 2014.
|2006||Puff, Puff, Pass||Bobbi|
|2009||Crossing Over||Yong Kim|
|2009||The Twilight Saga: New Moon||Eric Yorkie|
|2010||The Twilight Saga: Eclipse||Eric Yorkie|
|2011||From the Rough||Ji-Kyung|
|2011||The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1||Eric Yorkie|
|2012||Detention of the Dead||Ash|
|2013||21 & Over||Jeff Chang|
|2013||Innocent Blood||Brad Lee|
|2014||Revenge of the Green Dragons||Sonny|
|2015||Seoul Searching||Sid Park|
|2015||Man Up||Randall||Also director, writer, executive producer|
|2013||You're Stoopid||Director, writer||Short film|
|2013||Full Circle||Director, writer, actor||Short film|
|2015||90 Day Visa||Director, writer, actor||Short film|
|2015||Man Up||Director, writer, actor, executive producer||Feature film|
|2005||Jack & Bobby||Greek Chorus||Episode: "Under the Influence"|
|2006||The O.C.||Big Korea||Episode: "The Party Favor"|
|2006||Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior||Peter Wu||Television film|
|2007–2008||Just Jordan||Tony Lee|
|2009||Balls Out: Gary the Tennis Coach||Joe Chang||Television film|
|2011||House||Harold Lam||Episode: "The Dig"|
|2013||New Girl||Brian||Episode: "Menus"|
|2015||Sin City Saints||Byron Summers|
- "Star Spotlight: Justin Chon". Scholastic. Retrieved 2008-12-19.
- Teenfaze (2 April 2008). "Justin Chon (Twilight) Interview" – via YouTube.
- motoway065. "Interview With Justin Chon".
- "Jetsetting With Up-and-Coming Actor Justin Chon - Jetset Extra".
- "justin chon - Audrey Magazine".
- Justin Chon Publisher: www.TwilightLexicon.com Published: 27 July 2008. Retrieved: 18 March 2014.
- Larry Carroll (2008-02-07). "'Twilight' Gives The Green Light To Anna Kendrick, Justin Chon For Book-Turned-Movie". MTV. Retrieved 2008-12-19.
- "New Moon Actors arrived in Vancouver". ReelzChannel. 2009-04-11. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- James S. Kim, Justin Chon Does His Own ‘Seoul Searching’, http://iamkoream.com/justin-chon-does-his-own-seoul-searching/
- Cynthia Brothers & Vu-Bang Nguyen, Justin Chon on ‘Seoul Searching’ and ‘Man Up’, http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2015/02/26/justin-chon-on-seoul-searching-and-manning-up/
- CAAMFest, Man Up, http://caamfest.com/2015/films/man-up/
- LAAPFF 2015, MAN UP, http://laapff.festpro.com/films/program/man_up_2015
- Man Up, Official Film Page, http://www.manupfilm.com
- Dave McNary, Lakeshore Launches Digital Studio With Justin Chon-Kevin Wu Comedy http://variety.com/2015/film/news/lakeshore-launches-digital-studio-with-justin-chon-kevin-wu-comedy-1201460990/
- ChannelAPA.com, Full Circle, http://www.channelapa.com/2013/02/full-circle-short-film-with-justin-chon.html
- AllKPop, Up in Justin Chon's Attic, http://www.allkpop.com/article/2009/04/up-in-justin-chons-attic
- Chon, Justin (March 15, 2016). "Editorial: I Walked Out On a Racist Audition". NBCNews.com. Retrieved April 29, 2016.