Justin Hunt (filmmaker)
Justin Travis Hunt (born September 16, 1976), is an American filmmaker whose films include American Meth (2007), Absent (2010), and The Speed of Orange (2012).
He was born in Grand Junction, Colorado, where his father, Glen Hunt, was a jockey, and his mother, Linda, was a race horse trainer. Hunt was a television news anchor and reporter, primarily in New Mexico, in the late '90s and early 2000s. In 2003, he left a successful career in broadcasting to begin his production company, Time & Tide Productions, Inc.
Since 2003, Time & Tide Productions has turned out hundreds of video projects, most notably James & Erniefied (2004), a documentary-style production of Navajo comedians James Junes and Ernest Tsosie III, The Meth Monster (2004), American Meth (2007), Absent (2010), and The Speed of Orange (2012).
Hunt also founded the American Meth Education Foundation.
His first feature was American Meth (2007). This documentary narrated by Val Kilmer looked at the effects of the drug methamphetamine on American culture and on an American family. The film was picked up for distribution by Rivercoast Film Distribution. Sound on Sight found it shocking but educational. Hunt toured the film, including free screenings for high school students.
It won the 2011 CPDD/NIDA Media Award from the College on Problems of Drug Dependence, Best Documentary at the Cinema City International Film Festival at Universal Studios and the TriMedia Film Festival (2007) and the Most Socially Engaging Film at the Eugene International Film Festival (2007).
Absent (2012) focused on what it was like for children growing up with an absent father. The film includes musician James Hetfield talking about his experiences growing up. The film also features boxer Johnny Tapia and Christian authors John Eldredge and Richard Rohr.
The Speed of Orange
Hunt is the father of two children; a son, Lantz, born in 2000 and a daughter, Carolyn Abbey, born in 2003. He resides in Colorado Springs, Colorado where he oversees his two production companies, Time & Tide Productions, Inc. and Out of the Gate Entertainment.
- Schwartz, Don (Mar 26, 2011). "Absent in San Rafael". Cine Source Magazine. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Stanley, John (May 10, 2011). "Gilbert filmmaker's new movie features Metallica singer". AZ Central. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Schwartz, D (June 19, 2011). "American Meth: Following Virgil". Cine Source Magazine. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Buchanan, Jason. "American Meth Overview". Allmovie. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- Cragg, Lauren (November 12, 2010). "American Meth (Review)". Sound on Sight. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Walsh, Glenn (2007-09-13). "American Meth At Liberty Theatre". Pagosa Daily Post (Colorado, USA). Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Liesik, Geoff (May 27, 2007). "Meth film provides a warning — and hope". Deseret News. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Dvorak, Tracy (July 8, 2011). "Mesa State grad wins national award for his documentary". Grand Junction Free Press. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "2011 CPDD/NIDA Media Award Winner: Justin Hunt and His Film American Meth". CPDD Blog. February 7, 2011. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Southard, Janie (January 12, 2012). "Mercer Dads push involvement". Daily Standard (Celina, Ohio). Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Doughton, KJ (December 26, 2011). "HEALING THE FATHER WOUND: INTERVIEW WITH FILMMAKER JUSTIN HUNT". Film Threat. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Woodbury, Jason (Apr 27, 2011). "James Hetfield of Metallica to Speak at Absent Screening at Central Christian Church in Mesa + Interview with Director Justin Hunt". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "James Hetfield featured in ABSENT documentary, exclusive interview with director Justin Hunt". Rockville Music Magazine. 2010-08-25. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Warren, Lee (May 16, 2011). "Metallica's James Hetfield Featured in Documentary on Absent Fathers". Christian Post. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Stanley, John (March 10, 2012). "Gilbert filmmaker's project reveals family's trials". AZ Central. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Justin Hunt rolls film on new film". The Daily Times (Farmington, NM, USA). 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2013.