Kurzel at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival
|Born||3 August 1974|
Gawler, South Australia, Australia
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Kurzel was born in Gawler, South Australia to a family of immigrant roots, his father hailing from Poland and his mother from Malta. His younger brother, Jed Kurzel, is a blues rock musician who has scored most of Justin's films. Kurzel is married to actress Essie Davis.
In 1999 he was awarded a Mike Walsh Fellowship. His film debut was the Australian short film Blue Tongue (2004). His feature film debut was Snowtown (2011), for which he won the AACTA Award for Best Direction. Though controversial for its violence, the film was generally praised and holds an 84% on Rotten Tomatoes with the critic consensus: "It's a bleak and brutal endurance test, but for viewers with the strength and patience to make it to the end, Snowtown will prove an uncommonly powerful viewing experience."
Kurzel directed True History of the Kelly Gang in 2018, adapted from Peter Carey's 2001 Man Booker Prize-winning novel of the same name, written from the viewpoint of legendary Australian bushranger and outlaw Ned Kelly, The film will premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival and release in Australian cinemas in 2020.
|2004||Blue Tongue||Short film|
|2011||Snowtown||AACTA Award for Best Direction|
Film Critics Circle of Australia Award for Best Direction
Nominated—Inside Film Award for Best Director
|2013||The Turning||Episode: "Boner McPharlin's Moll"|
Nominated—AACTA Award for Best Direction
|2015||Macbeth||Nominated—British Independent Film Award for Best Director of a British Independent Film|
Nominated—Cannes Film Festival – Palme d'Or
|2019||True History of the Kelly Gang|
- "Justin Dallas Kurzel". Directors Guild of America. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Conrad, Peter (October 2015). "An eye for tyrants". The Monthly. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Quinn, Karl (1 May 2013). "Snowtown's Kurzel to direct Fassbender, Portman in big-screen Macbeth". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Blue Tongue". Stockholm Film Festival. Archived from the original on 24 March 2017. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "The Snowtown Murders". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "The 2015 Official Selection". Cannes Film Festival. 15 April 2015. Archived from the original on 18 April 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Vejvoda, Jim (29 April 2014). "Michael Fassbender's MacBeth Director to Helm Assassin's Creed Movie". IGN. Ziff Davis, LLC. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- White, James (6 July 2015). "Justin Kurzel Developing True History Of The Kelly Gang". Empire Online. Bauer Consumer Media Ltd. Archived from the original on 14 July 2015. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Groves, Don (9 August 2019). "Justin Kurzel to direct TV drama series for Apple". Inside Film. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- Quinn, Karl (15 August 2019). "Apple TV+ series Shantaram is go, with Kurzel but without Depp". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 27 August 2019.