Justin Lowe Quackenbush
|Justin Lowe Quackenbush|
|Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington|
June 27, 1995
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington|
1989 – June 27, 1995
|Preceded by||Robert James McNichols|
|Succeeded by||William Fremming Nielsen|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington|
June 18, 1980 – June 27, 1995
|Appointed by||Jimmy Carter|
|Preceded by||Marshall Allen Neill|
|Succeeded by||Robert H. Whaley|
|Born||1929 (age 87–88)
|Alma mater||University of Idaho B.A.
Gonzaga University School of Law LL.B.
Justin Lowe Quackenbush (born 1929) is a Senior United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington.
Quackenbush received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Idaho in 1951. He received a Bachelor of Laws from Gonzaga University School of Law, his father's alma mater, in 1957. He was in the United States Navy from 1951 to 1954. He was a deputy prosecuting attorney in Spokane County, Washington from 1957 to 1959. He was in private practice in Spokane from 1959 until his judicial nomination. He was active in Democratic Party politics, regularly serving as the campaign manager for Tom Foley's successful Congressional election campaigns starting in 1964 for over a decade.
Quackenbush also taught at Gonzaga University School of Law from 1961 to 1967, and was an active Mason.
On May 9, 1980, President Jimmy Carter nominated Quackenbush to the seat vacated by Marshall A. Neill. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on June 18, 1980, and received his commission the same day. Because Neill was the only judge in the district, and had died in October 1979, Quackenbush and fellow appointee Robert J. McNichols immediately faced a tremendous backlog of cases.
He served as chief judge from 1989 to June 27, 1995, when he assumed senior status. The annual Quackenbush Lecture Series at Gonzaga University School of Law is named in his honor.
- "Retired judge dies; former prosecutor". The Spokesman-Review. Nov 2, 1981. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- "Campaign Chief Named by Foley". The Spokesman-Review. Sep 17, 1966. Retrieved 28 February 2010.[dead link]
- Bonino, Rick (Apr 5, 1979). "Democrats boast party unity". The Spokesman-Review. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- Craig, John (Nov 8, 1980). "Judges losing ground on U.S. court backlog". Spokane Daily Chronicle. Archived from the original on July 11, 2012. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- Justin Lowe Quackenbush at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Marshall A. Neill
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
May 9, 1980 – June 27, 1995
Robert H. Whaley