Justin Marks (baseball)
Marks with the Omaha Storm Chasers
January 12, 1988 |
|April 20, 2014, for the Kansas City Royals|
(through 2017 season)
|Earned run average||3.65|
Justin Michael Marks (born January 12, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Kansas City Royals and Tampa Bay Rays.
The Boston Red Sox drafted Marks in the 37th round of the 2006 MLB Draft out of Owensboro Catholic High School in Owensboro, Kentucky, but he did not sign, opting to attend the University of Louisville, where he played college baseball for the Louisville Cardinals.
Kansas City Royals
The Royals acquired Marks and Vin Mazzaro from the Athletics for David DeJesus. After the 2012 season, he appeared in the Arizona Fall League and was added to the Royals' 40-man roster. Marks was selected for the Top Prospects Team by the AFL coaches and managers. Marks led the Arizona league with five wins while pitching for the Surprise Saguaros. During the short six-week season he went 5–1 over seven starts and a 2.59 ERA with 22 strikeouts and five walks. Marks spent most of the 2012 regular season with the Northwest Arkansas Naturals of the Class AA Texas League. He posted a 3–5 record with the Naturals with an ERA of 3.80 in 17 starts. Marks' season was interrupted however after a ball hit back to the pitcher fractured his right orbital bone.
The Royals promoted Marks from the Omaha Storm Chasers of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League to the major leagues on April 17, 2014. He made his debut with the Royals on April 20. He was designated for assignment on June 2, 2014.
Second stint with the Athletics
Tampa Bay Rays
The Tampa Bay Rays signed Marks to a minor league contract on January 19, 2016. He pitched for the Durham Bulls of the Class AAA International League, and pitched nine innings for the Rays. During the 2016 offseason, Marks signed a new minor league contract with the Rays.
Los Angeles Dodgers
On May 9, 2017, Marks was claimed off waivers by the Los Angeles Dodgers. He was designated for assignment on June 8. He accepted his outright assignment to the minors and pitched in 31 games (6 starts) for the Triple-A Oklahoma City Dodgers in 2017. He was 4–3 with a 5.25 ERA.
- Dutton, Bob (November 20, 2012). "Royals overhaul roster, cutting seven, including Pena". Kansas City Star. Archived from the original on October 26, 2013. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- Kaegel, Dick (November 26, 2012). "Marks named to AFL's Top Prospects Team". MLB.com. Retrieved November 28, 2012.
- Martin, Derek (April 17, 2014). "Royals place Cain on DL, recall Justin Marks". KMA FM/KMA AM. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "Hughes picks up win as Twins top Royals, 8-3". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 20, 2014. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "A's acquire LHP Justin Marks from Kansas City". Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. June 6, 2014. Archived from the original on June 9, 2014. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "A's acquire minor league reliever Marks". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 6, 2014. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "A's LHP Justin Marks claimed off waivers by Texas". CSN Bay Area. June 20, 2014. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "RHP Jerome Williams becomes 31st Rangers pitcher". ESPN.com. Associated Press. July 25, 2014. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Eddy, Matt (November 17, 2014). "Minor League Transactions: Nov. 7-13". Baseball America. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
- "Rays sign pair of left-handed pitchers to minor league deals". ESPN.com. Associated Press. January 19, 2016. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
- Eddy, Matt (December 5, 2016). "Minor League Transactions: Nov. 19-Dec. 1". baseballamerica.com. Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- Stephen, Eric (May 9, 2017). "Dodgers claim Justin Marks off waivers from Rays". SB Nation. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- Byrne, Connor (June 8, 2017). "Dodgers Designate Justin Marks, Select Fabio Castillo". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- "2017 Oklahoma City Dodgers Statistics". Baseball Reference. Retrieved September 6, 2017.