Justin Robinson (musician)
This article has an unclear citation style.November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
Justin Robinson (born August 14, 1968) is an American alto saxophonist. He has performed with artists such as the Harper Brothers, Cecil Brooks III, Abbey Lincoln, Diana Ross, Little Jimmy Scott, the Carnegie Hall Jazz Band, and the Dizzy Gillespie All Star Band. He is a member of the quintet and big band of trumpeter Roy Hargrove.
Life and career
Robinson was born in Manhattan, and first began playing saxophone at the age of 13, while attending the High School of Music and Arts (LaGuardia High School) in New York. His influences were Charlie Parker and Jackie McLean.
For the first time he stepped on the Village Gate in the show First Generations of Jazz. From 1984 to 1986 he belonged to the McDonald's High School Jazz Band on to the age of 18 with Philip Harper to be active in their formation Harper Brothers and Winard Harper, 1988 brought him Betty Carter in her band. From the early 1990s, he played with Cecil Brooks III, Abbey Lincoln, Diana Ross, Little Jimmy Scott, Carnegie Hall Jazz Band, the Dizzy Gillespie All Star Band, Kate Higgins, Sam Newsome and especially Roy Hargrove, both in the Big Band as well as in the quintet. After his recording debut Justin Time (Verve, 1991), to the Bobby Watson, Eddie Henderson, Kenny Barron and Gary Bartz participated, was released in 1998 the album Challenge, on which he was accompanied by his childhood friend Stephen Scott. Robinson lives in New Jersey.
- 1991: Justin Time (Verve)
- 1998: The Challenge (Arabesque)
- 2012: In the Spur of the Moment (WJ3)
- 2014: Alana's Fantasy (Criss Cross Jazz)
With Cecil Brooks III
- Hangin' with Smooth (Muse, 1990)
With Roy Hargrove
- 2006: Nothing Serious (Verve)
- 2008: Earfood (EmArcy)
- 2009: Emergence – The Roy Hargrove Big Band (Groovin' High)
- Justin Robinson, all-about-jazz
- Justin Robinson: Side Ways | iRock Jazz
- Jazz Music: Trumpeter Roy Hargrove - "The Night of the Jewel-Studded Glove"
- Jazz Reviews: The ChallengeJustin Robinson - By Tom Terrell — Jazz Articles
- 【Justin Robinson - In the Spur of the Moment】(2011) ★★★★ - Tokyo Jazz Review - Organization of World Greatest Jazz Musicians
- Duke Jazz Series, Fall 2002
- A Short History of Jazz - Bob Yurochko - Google Boeken
- The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz - Google Boeken
- All Music Guide to Jazz: The Definitive Guide to Jazz Music - Google Boeken
- The New York Times Essential Library: Jazz: A Critic's Guide to the 100 Most ... - Ben Ratliff - Google Boeken
- Robinson Succeeds `Time' and Again, The Washington Post, Joyce, Mike. Aug 27, 1993, page N.16.
- MUSIC REVIEW; Afternoon Celebration Of Charlie Parker's Jazz - New York Times
- La fête du jazz se poursuit à Tanger : Roy Hargrove Quintet sur scène ce soir