21 May 1916|
Colombo Sri Lanka
|Died||3 November 2003(aged 87)|
|Education||Nalanda College Colombo|
Justin Samarasekera (21 May 1916— 3 November 2003) was a Sri Lankan architect. He is considered to be one of the founding fathers of the architectural profession in Sri Lanka and a pioneer of architectural education in the country.
Justin Samarasekera was born 21 May 1916 in Colombo and completed his secondary school education at Nalanda Vidyalaya, Colombo before studying architecture at the Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy School of Art in Mumbai (1938-1943). Upon his return to Sri Lanka he joined the Public Works Department (PWD) before leaving for London, where he passed his final exams. In 1946 he worked for the architectural firm, Thomas Bennett and Son, in Holborn, a prominent firm in the UK New Town Movement. He returned to Sri Lanka and continued to work at the PWD, where he was made chief architect in 1956.
He was the first president of Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science. He also served as the president of Sri Lanka Institute of Architects and the president of the National Academy of Sciences of Sri Lanka (1985-1986).
In 1982 he was made an Honorary Fellow of the SLIA and in the same year the University of Moratuwa conferred an honorary doctorate upon him, a Doctor of Science, honoris causa, the first Architect to receive such an honour. In 1996 he received the SLIA Gold Medal, the Association's highest honour.
- Independence Memorial Hall, Colombo
- Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science building, Colombo
- Institute of Practical Technology, Katubedde, Moratuwa
- Kalutara Chaitya, Kalutara
- University of Kelaniya Library, Kelaniya
- University of Ceylon Physics and Chemistry buildings
- SLFP Party Headquarters, Colombo
- Wornel's Reef Hotel, Beruwela
- Peiris, K. R. S. (3 November 2013). "Doyen of Architecture - Dr. Justin Samarasekara". Sunday Observer. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- Robson, David (2007). Beyond Bawa. Thames & Hudson. p. 121. ISBN 9780500342381.
- "From Abstract to a Flower Here, a Cloud There". Sunday Times. 5 July 1998. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- Pieris, Anoma (2013). Architecture and Nationalism in Sri Lanka: The Trousers under the Cloth. Routledge. pp. 149–150. ISBN 9780415630023.
- Anjalendran, C. (1997). "The Architectural Contribution of Dr. Justin Samarasekera" (PDF). Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- "History". Sri Lanka Institute of Architects. Archived from the original on 2 July 2015. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- "Past Presidents". National Academy of Sciences of Sri Lanka. Retrieved 27 August 2015.