Schultz with the Penguins in the 2016 playoffs.
July 6, 1990 |
Kelowna, BC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||196 lb (89 kg; 14 st 0 lb)|
|NHL Draft||43rd overall, 2008
Justin Schultz (born July 6, 1990) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman. He is currently playing with the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League (NHL). Schultz was born in Kelowna, British Columbia, but grew up in Westbank, British Columbia.
Schultz played collegiate hockey for the University of Wisconsin Badgers which competes in the WCHA. He was selected by the Anaheim Ducks in the second round (43rd overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Drafted by the Anaheim Ducks, Schultz was unable to come to terms on a contract with the team. During the last week of May 2012, Schultz officially "de-registered" from the University of Wisconsin triggering a process that made him an unrestricted free agent (UFA). According to league rules, from the time Anaheim was given notice of the de-registration from school, they had a 30-day exclusive window to try to sign him or trade him. Anaheim was ultimately unable to sign him. Schultz was heavily recruited by up to 26 teams as a free agent, with the Edmonton Oilers having Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey personally recruit him. On June 30, 2012, Schultz agreed to a two year entry-level contract with the Edmonton Oilers.
Schultz played the first 34 games of his professional career in the AHL while recording 48 points in 34 games, leading all defencemen in scoring. He was ultimately awarded the AHL's Eddie Shore Award in 2012-13 as the league's top defenceman despite participating in less than half of the Oklahoma City Barons' games.
Schultz later played his first NHL game in the first Oilers game following the 2012–13 NHL lock-out against the Vancouver Canucks. He scored his first goal during the next game, the Oilers' home opener, against Antti Niemi of the San Jose Sharks on January 22, 2013.
On August 28, 2014, Schultz signed a new one-year contract with the Edmonton Oilers valued at $3.675 million.
In the 2015–16 season, with the Oilers out of playoff contention and suffering the worst season of his professional career with 10 points in 45 games, Schultz was traded from the Oilers to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a third round pick in 2016 on February 27, 2016. On June 12, 2016, Schultz won his first Stanley Cup when the Penguins defeated the San Jose Sharks in the 2016 Stanley Cup Finals.
On July 13, 2016, Schultz agreed to a one-year, $1.4 million contract with the Penguins.
|Representing Canada West|
|World Junior A Challenge|
Regular season and playoffs
|2009–10||University of Wisconsin||WCHA||43||6||16||22||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||University of Wisconsin||WCHA||41||18||29||47||28||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||University of Wisconsin||WCHA||37||16||28||44||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Oklahoma City Barons||AHL||34||18||30||48||6||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|All-WCHA Rookie Team||2009–10|
|All-WCHA First Team||2010–11|||
|WCHA Defensive Player of the Year||2010–11|||
|AHCA West First-Team All-American||2010–11|
|All-WCHA First Team||2011–12|||
|WCHA Defensive Player of the Year||2011–12|
|AHCA West First-Team All-American||2011–12|
|CCM/AHL Player of the Week (Ending Oct 21)||2012–13|||
|CCM/AHL Player of the Month (Oct 2012)||2012–13|||
|CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month (Nov 2012)||2012–13|||
|AHL Defenseman of the Year||2012–13|||
|NHL All-Rookie Team||2012–13|||
|Stanley Cup (Pittsburgh Penguins)||2015–16|||
- "Flyers free agent target Justin Schultz". CSN Philly. 2012-05-22. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Cult of Hockey: After all that hype, Justin Schultz departs Edmonton in exchange for a third-round draft pick". 2016-02-28. Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- "Oilers agree to terms with highly sought-after free agent, Justin Schultz". Edmonton Oilers. June 30, 2012.
- "TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League | Home Page". theahl.com. Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- "Sharks 6, Oilers 3 Boxscore". National Hockey League. 2013-01-22. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- "Loaded with potential, Schultz signs with Oilers for important season". Edmonton Oilers. August 28, 2014.
- "Oilers deal Justin Schultz to Penguins for a pick". Yahoo! Sports. 2016-02-27. Retrieved 2016-02-28.
- "AP Source: Justin Schultz returns to Penguins on one-year deal". Sportsnet, sportsnet.ca. July 13, 2016. Retrieved July 13, 2016.
- "Matt Frattin, Jake Gardiner Named To All-WCHA Teams". Toronto Maple Leafs. 2011-04-15. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- "Schultz to make decision on Saturday". National Hockey League. 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- "Patterson, Bjugstad named to all-WCHA first team". Minnesota Star Tribune. 2012-04-05. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- "Baron's Schultz Named Player of the Week". American Hockey League. 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Schultz Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month". American Hockey League. 2012-11-01. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "Schultz Named Top Rookie for November". American Hockey League. 2012-12-03. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "Schultz captures AHL's Eddie Shore Award". American Hockey League. 2013-04-17.
- "Habs' Gallagher, Oilers' Schultz named to NHL All-Rookie team". TSN. 2013-06-29.
- "Penguins win Stanley Cup, defeat Sharks in Game 6". National Hockey League. 2016-06-12. Retrieved 2016-06-12.