|Birth name||Justin Paulhollis Shekoski|
June 11, 1983|
Orange County, California, U.S.
Justin Paulhollis Shekoski (born June 11, 1983) is an American guitarist, songwriter, and vocalist, best known for being the former lead guitarist and backing vocalist of Saosin and The Used. He has cited guitarists John Petrucci and Paul Gilbert as some of his main inspirations. Shekoski also teaches guitar lessons in Orange County, California where he resides.
Shekoski, along with Beau Burchell, Anthony Green, and Zach Kennedy, is a founding member of the post-hardcore band Saosin, having been with the group since their 2003 extended play Translating the Name. In February 2015, Quinn Allman, the lead guitarist for post-hardcore band The Used, began a year-long hiatus from performing with the group, and Shekoski was selected to fill in for him. The Used bassist Jeph Howard cited their friendship with the entirety of Saosin and Shekoski specifically as the reasons he was selected. In November 2015, The Used announced that Allman would be permanently leaving the band, and that Shekoski would be replacing him as an official member.
Shortly after that announcement, Shekoski revealed that he had been removed from Saosin "a few months [prior to November 2015]" for what he described as "questionable reasons". Shekoski expressed surprise at his removal, saying "One thing I can be sure of is that I could not and would not have done anything differently over the past years. The shows were some of the best we have ever played. It truly seemed as if everyone was happy and positivity was at an all-time high. I was proud of the new music we were creating and to be turned away right before we tracked the record that we had spent years writing and our entire career working towards is saddening at best and angering at worst. If anyone's heart or commitment to Saosin could have possibly been in question, it certainly wasn't mine, ever."
In March 2018, The Used removed Justin Shekoski from their band members section on Facebook and edited him out of their promotional photos. On May 6, 2018, reports surfaced of the remaining members of the Used filing a restraining order against Shekoski citing "violence against us and himself." In response to these claims, Shekoski stated that "retaliation is the only way to get justice. Those fucks ruined my life and stole my creative work." He also threatened The Used with threats of suicide by hanging at one of their shows, to which the band responded "Even and especially in the toughest times, the threat of suicide should never be taken lightly."
- Translating the Name (2003)
- Saosin (2005)
- Saosin (2006)
- Come Close (2006)
- The Grey (2008)
- In Search of Solid Ground (2009)
with The Used
- "Justin Paulhollis Shekoski, Born 06/11/1983 in California". California Birth Index. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Justin Shekoski From Saosin: 'Finding The Shredder Within'". Ultimate Guitar Archive. August 2, 2007. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Saosin guitarist offers lessons". Revolver. March 11, 2008. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Apar, Corey. "Saosin - Biography & History". AllMusic. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Sharp, Tyler (February 2, 2015). "The Used guitarist to take temporary leave from band, Saosin member to fill in". Alternative Press. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Ebeling, Amy (April 15, 2015). "An Interview with The Used: In Need Of A Revolution". The Aquarian Weekly. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Sharp, Tyler (November 19, 2015). "The Used welcome Saosin guitarist after officially parting ways with Quinn Allman". Alternative Press. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Leak, Brian (November 23, 2015). "Ex-Saosin guitarist speaks out about being removed from band for "questionable reasons"". Alternative Press. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- "The Used issue statement on split with former guitarist Justin Shekoski". Alternative Press. May 7, 2018. Retrieved May 9, 2018.