Justin Wilson (baseball)
Wilson with the New York Yankees
August 18, 1987 |
|August 20, 2012, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2015 season)
|Earned run average||3.03|
Justin James Wilson (born August 18, 1987) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Detroit Tigers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played in MLB for the Pittsburgh Pirates from 2012 to 2014 and New York Yankees in 2015. Prior to his professional career, Wilson played college baseball for the Fresno State Bulldogs, where he was a member of the 2008 College World Series champions.
High school and college career
Wilson attended Buchanan High School in Clovis, California. Out of high school, the Los Angeles Dodgers drafted Wilson in the 37th round (1126th overall) of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft, but he did not sign, opting to enroll at Fresno State University, where he played college baseball for the Fresno State Bulldogs baseball team. In his junior season, Wilson was named to the College World Series All-Tournament Team, as Fresno State won the 2008 College World Series.
In 2009, he played for the Lynchburg Hillcats. In 2010, he played for the Altoona Curve. In 2011, he played for the Indianapolis Indians. The Pirates added him to their 40-man roster after the 2011 season to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.
On April 29, 2012, pitching for the Indianapolis Indians against the Durham Bulls, Wilson pitched the first 7 1/3 innings of a combined no-hitter, finished off by Jumbo Diaz and Doug Slaten. “It was pretty awesome,” Wilson said after the game. “Great for Jumbo to come in and not give up a hit. And Doug as well. Great defense all around. Outstanding play to end the game, it was an awesome play. And then José Morales behind the plate was just outstanding tonight.” On leaving the game with a no-hitter, Wilson said: “It was tough, but you’ve got to trust your manager.”“He was making the call on what he thought, which was totally okay with me. Totally understandable. I respect him, and understand what he was doing.” With two outs in the ninth inning, Reid Brignac sent a slow rolling check swing to second base, then Anderson Hernández ranged in, bare handed the ball, and made the flip to first base to complete the no-hitter. On August 9, 2012, pitching for the Indianapolis Indians, Wilson pitched his second no-hitter of the 2012 season, an eight inning, complete game no-hitter against the Charlotte Knights (rain ended the game in the eighth inning). Wilson was promoted to the Pittsburgh Pirates on August 20, 2012. Wilson made his major league debut the same day, pitching one scoreless inning, with three strikeouts.
New York Yankees
On November 12, 2014, the Pirates traded Wilson to the New York Yankees in exchange for Francisco Cervelli. During the 2015 season, Yankees' manager Joe Girardi used Wilson as his setup pitcher for the seventh inning, with Dellin Betances and Andrew Miller pitching the eighth and ninth innings, respectively. Wilson had a 3.10 ERA in 61 innings pitched in 2015.
On December 9, 2015, the Yankees traded Wilson to the Detroit Tigers in exchange for Chad Green and Luis Cessa. On January 13, 2016, the Tigers avoided arbitration with Wilson, agreeing on a one-year, $1.525 million contract.
- "Buchanan High lefty says he'll join 'Dogs ...". Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- "Results good enough for Wilson, 'Dogs ...". Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- "Bulldogs double up in baseball's draft". Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- Brink, Bill (November 19, 2011). "Six minor leaguers join Pirates 40-man roster". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Williams, Tim (April 29, 2012). "Justin Wilson Leads Combined No Hitter For Indianapolis". Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- Williams, Tim (August 9, 2012). "Justin Wilson Throws Second No Hitter of the 2012 Season". Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- Zinni, Nancy (August 10, 2012). "Justin Wilson Throws an Eight Inning No-Hitter". Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- Janes, Chelsea (August 20, 2012). "Pirates recall McPherson, Wilson". MLB.com. Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- Sherman, Joel (November 13, 2014). "Yankees trade Francisco Cervelli to Pirates for lefty reliever". New York Post.
- "Pirates acquire Cervelli from Yankees for Wilson". ESPN.com. Associated Press. November 13, 2014. Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- Hoch, Bryan (December 9, 2015). "Yankees land pair of pitching prospects for Wilson". MLB.com. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- Beck, Jason (January 13, 2016). "Tigers avoid arbitration with Wilson". MLB.com. Retrieved January 13, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Justin Wilson (baseball).|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Justin Wilson on Twitter