|Born||1972 (age 43–44)
Papua New Guinea
|Institution||The Brookings Institution
University of Michigan
|Alma mater||University of Sydney
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Justin James Michael Wolfers (born 1972) is an Australian and American economist and public policy scholar. He is professor of economics and public policy at the University of Michigan, and a Senior Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.
Prior to coming to the University of Michigan, Wolfers was associate professor of business and public policy at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He is a contributor to the New York Times (where he writes for The Upshot blog) and the Wall Street Journal, and was an editor of the Brookings Papers on Economic Activity from 2009 through Fall 2015. Wolfers' research has explored the economics of sports, sports betting, prediction markets and the family. In 2007, he was named in David Leonhardt's New York Times column as one of 13 young economists who were the future of economics.
Wolfers holds a Ph.D. in Economics (1997–2001) and an A.M in Economics (2000), both from Harvard University, and a Bachelor of Economics (First class honors and University medal; Majors in economics, law and computer science) from the University of Sydney (1991–1994). He attended Harvard as a Fulbright Scholar. Justin attended James Ruse Agricultural High School (1985–1990). . He is noted for his research on happiness and its relation to income.
Recognition and honors
- August 2014: named by International Monetary Fund as one of the 25 brightest young economists who are expected to shape the world's thinking about the global economy in the future.
- Bowmaker, Simon W. (2012). "The Art and Practice of Economics Research". doi:10.4337/9781849808477. ISBN 9781849808477.
- Peter Monaghan, Much-Watched Couple in Economics Lands at U. of Michigan (July 30, 2012). Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Leonhardt, David (2007-01-10). "The future of economics isn't so dismal". New York Times. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "Much-Watched Couple in Economics Lands at U. of Michigan". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- Boby Michael, "IMF Lists 25 Brightest Young Economists", International Business Times, August 27, 2014.
- Nickeled and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich (essay)
-  Personal website University of Michigan
- Curriculum Vitae
- Roberts, Russ (June 24, 2013). "Stevenson and Wolfers on Happiness, Growth, and the Reinhart-Rogoff Controversy". EconTalk. Library of Economics and Liberty.
- Appearances on C-SPAN