Sheffield with the Yankees in 2018
|Seattle Mariners – No. 33|
|Born: May 13, 1996|
|September 19, 2018, for the New York Yankees|
|MLB statistics |
(through April 26, 2019)
|Earned run average||7.94|
He was drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the first round of the 2014 MLB draft. During the 2016 trade deadline, he was traded to the Yankees, where he made his MLB debut on September 19, 2018. Following the 2018 season, Sheffield was traded to the Seattle Mariners.
Sheffield attended Tullahoma High School in Tullahoma, Tennessee. He threw two no-hitters while in high school, including a 17–strikeout game as a senior. He finished his senior season 11–0 with a 0.34 earned run average (ERA) and 131 strikeouts in 61 2⁄3 innings pitched. He also batted .405/.478/.620 with three home runs. For his play he was named the Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year. Sheffield committed to play college baseball at Vanderbilt University.
The Cleveland Indians selected Sheffield in the first round of the 2014 MLB Draft, and he signed with Cleveland, bypassing Vanderbilt. In 2015, he pitched for the Lake County Captains of the Class A Midwest League. He threw 127 2⁄3 innings, and had a 9-4 record and a 3.31 ERA. Sheffield began the 2016 season with the Lynchburg Hillcats of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League.
New York Yankees
On July 31, 2016, the Indians traded Sheffield along with Clint Frazier, Ben Heller and J. P. Feyereisen to the New York Yankees for Andrew Miller. He finished the 2016 season with the Tampa Yankees of the Class A-Advanved Florida State League, where he posted a 10–6 record with a 3.09 ERA. He spent 2017 with the Trenton Thunder of the Class AA Eastern League, going 7-6 with a 3.18 ERA in 93 1⁄3 innings pitched.
In 2018, Sheffield started the season with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders of the Class AAA International League. In August, the team converted him into a relief pitcher in preparation for a September call-up to the major leagues.
Sheffield was arrested on January 12, 2015, and was charged with underage drinking and aggravated burglary. He pleaded guilty at Coffee County Court House in Tullahoma, Tennessee, to charges of underage drinking and criminal trespass with a deferred judgment, so that the charges could be expunged from his record in a year.
- "Vanderbilt signee Justus Sheffield throws no-hitter". April 7, 2014. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Justus Sheffield - Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year 2013-2014". Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Justus Sheffield first TN Gatorade national player of year". June 4, 2014. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Lukehart, Jason (June 5, 2014). "MLB Draft 2014: Indians select Justus Sheffield #31 overall". SB Nation. Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- "Vanderbilt signee named country's top high school baseball player - Nashville Post". Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Indians agree to terms with LHP Sheffield". Cleveland Indians. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Cleveland Indians prospect Justus Sheffield learned how to pitch in 2015 and he enjoyed the results | cleveland.com
- "Sheffield continues to improve in All-Star season | Local Sports". tullahomanews.com. July 28, 2016. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- "All in? Cleveland Indians acquire Yankees relief ace Andrew Miller for Clint Frazier, other prospects". cleveland.com. July 31, 2016. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- "Justus Sheffield Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved January 28, 2018.
- "How Yankees began preparing Justus Sheffield for September call-up". NJ.com. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- Yankees land James Paxton in trade, send top prospect to Mariners
- "BaseballAmerica.com: High School: High Heat: Sheffields Front Brotherly Staff". July 26, 2012. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Five questions with Indians' Justus Sheffield". mlb.com. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "Who is Justus Sheffield? Yankees get pitcher in Andrew Miller trade to Indians". nj.com. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "Cleveland Indians' Justus Sheffield arrested, charged with burglary - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Cleveland Indians LHP Justus Sheffield pleads guilty to two charges; sentence reduced". cleveland.com. Retrieved August 22, 2018.