June 28, 1987 |
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||175 lb (79 kg)|
|Sport||Track and field|
|Event(s)||100 metres, 200 metres|
|College team||TCU Horned Frogs|
|Achievements and titles|
60m: 6.59s (Toronto 2012)
Justyn Warner, (born June 28, 1987) is a Canadian track athlete specializing in the 100 metres. He is the former Canadian Junior record holder at that distance with a time of 10.26. He anchored the Canadian 4 × 100 m relay team to a third-place finish at the 2012 Summer Olympics, but they were later disqualified for a teammate stepping out his lane. In 2013 he anchored Canada to a bronze in the same event at the 2013 World Championships in Athletics.
He is coached by Kevin Tyler.
Warner is a graduate of Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute in Scarborough, Ontario. He was a double-sport athlete playing football and running track, where he was an outstanding sprint athlete. In 2005, his senior year he won four provincial O.F.S.A.A titles on the track: 100m, 200m, 4 × 100 m, and 4 × 400 m.
Warner received a full scholarship to Texas Christian University where he competed in the NCAA as a Horned Frog under Darryl Anderson. He was a three-time All-American. He graduated TCU in 2009 with a bachelor's degree in Kinesiology.
In 2012, Warner qualified in the 100m for the 2012 Summer Olympics by winning his first Canadian championship in 10.15s. That also qualified him to be a member of the 4 × 100 m relay team. At the Olympic Games, Warner finished 13th overall running a personal best of 10.09s twice in both the heat and the semi-final. Next up was the 4 × 100 m relay with Gavin Smellie, Oluseyi Smith, Jared Connaughton & Warner anchoring. In the final, the Canadian relay team arrived in third place and initially believed they had won bronze but they were disqualified when officials judged that Connaughton had stepped on the lane line just before passing the baton. The relay team from Trinidad and Tobago were awarded the bronze.
In August 2013 Warner anchored his Canadian teammates Gavin Smellie, Aaron Brown and Dontae Richards-Kwok to a bronze in the same men's sprint relay event at the 2013 World Championships in Athletics in Moscow, after Great Britain was disqualified for a baton exchange infraction.
Warner has a son, Kaedence, with Canadian hurdler Nikkita Holder.
|60 metres||6.57s||Birmingham, UK||21 February 2015|
|100 metres||10.09s||London, England||4 August 2012|
|200 metres||20.95s||Toronto, ON Canada||13 June 2011|
- COC Olympic Profile
- London 2012 profile
- Canadian men's relay team goes from bronze to heartache after disqualification. (2012-08-11). Retrieved on 2013-02-22.
- "Canadian men win bronze, Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to gold". CBC Sports. The Associated Press. August 18, 2013. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- Canadian track stars tie the knot in Scarborough. (2012-10-18). Retrieved on 2015-10-29.
- Warner wins silver at Pan Am junior track event. (2005-07-30). Retrieved on 2008-04-11.
- Warner wins silver at junior track and field worlds. (2006-08-16). Retrieved on 2008-04-11.
- Canadian 4x100 team disqualified following third-place finish. (2012-08-11). Retrieved on 2013-02-22.