Jutta Bauer (born 9 January 1955) is a German writer and illustrator of children's books. For her "lasting contribution" as a children's illustrator she received the Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 2010.
Born in Volksdorf, Hamburg, she studied at the Technical College of Design in Hamburg from 1975 to 1981 Afterward she worked as a children's book illustrator and as cartoonist for the women's magazine Brigitte.
She won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis (German Youth Literature Award) in 2001 for the picture book Schreimutter, which she wrote and illustrated. She was a runner-up in 2002 for Opas Engel and she received a Special prize for Illustration in 2009.
The biennial Hans Christian Andersen Award conferred by the International Board on Books for Young People is the highest recognition available to a writer or illustrator of children's books. Bauer received the illustration award in 2010.
She currently resides in Hamburg.
- Ein Engel trägt meinen Hinkelstein
- Schreimutter — 2001 Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis, Picture books
- Opas Engel; transl. Grandpa's Angel (Walker Books)
- Die Königin der Farben
- Abends, wenn ich schlafen geh
- Ich sitze hier im Abendlicht
- "Hans Christian Andersen Awards" (top page). International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY). Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "2010". Hans Christian Andersen Awards. IBBY. With presentation speech by jury president Zohreh Ghaeni (11 September 2010), acceptance speech by Bauer, and other contemporary material Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Jutta Bauer". Kinder und Jugendbuchportal. Goethe Institut (goethe.de). Retrieved 2014-03-22.