|Alma mater||University of Cologne|
Early life and education
Koether's paintings are exercises in color, line, form and pattern and often feature text. Her style has precedent in the work of Sigmar Polke and Kenny Scharf. She is also inspired by artists and intellectuals who have created an alternative to mainstream culture, including underground filmmaker Kenneth Anger and musician Patti Smith. She has collaborated with Sonic Youth’s Kim Gordon on a number of projects, for example Her Noise at Tate Modern in 2005. Koether's work is also affiliated with Martin Kippenberger. Their relationship began in Cologne when she interviewed him for Spex magazine. Although her work is not as grandiose as Kippenberger, both their works engage with the dense history of European, and more specifically, German painting.
For much of the 1990s, she mixed graffiti-inspired brushwork, fluorescent colors (especially bright pink), fragmented images and assorted quotations on surfaces that had a vibrant, all-over undergrowth. Her solo show at Pat Hearn Gallery, New York, in 1997 featured a soundtrack by the artist, accompanied by Tom Verlaine. Her visionary work, according to The New York Times art critic Roberta Smith, sees painting as multipurpose.
Koether’s 2009 show entitled Lux Exterior at Reena Spaulings further explored a common thematic in her work, the relation of painting with other aspects of theoretical and counter culture. Koether’s 2009 show was discussed in David Joselit’s essay entitled Painting Beside Itself. The exhibition, which included a painting entitled Hot Rod (after Poussin) (2009) along with sculptural found objects and a series of three performances, was noted by Joselit as a “sophisticated response to the question which I began [this essay]: How does a painting belong to a network?”
In spring 2012, Koether took part in the three-month exposition of Whitney Biennial. Around that time, she conceived two large series of works that respond directly to the French artist Nicolas Poussin, a reinterpretation of his The Seven Sacraments reimagined as a series of installations, and Seasons (2012), a response to Poussin’s The Four Seasons.
Koether has taught at many institutions, including Columbia University, the Academy of Fine Arts in Berlin, Yale University, and Bard College. Currently, she is a professor at the Hochschule für bildende Künste Hamburg.
- Maquis, Galerie Francesca Pia, Zürich
- A Moveable Feast - Part XV, Campoli Presti, Paris
- Champrovement, Reena Spaulings, New York
- Un établissement aux Folies-Koethère, Établissement d'en face projects, Brussels
- Cycle 1. Jutta Koether. Viktoria, Luise, Isabelle, Praxes, Berlin
- The Double Session, Campoli Presti, London
- Seasons and Sacraments, Arnolfini, Bristol, United Kingdom
- Seasons and Sacraments, Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee, United Kingdom
- The Fifth Season, Bortolami Gallery, New York
- Mad Garland, Campoli Presti, Paris
- The Thirst, Moderna Museet, Stockholm
- Berliner Schlussel, Galerie Daniel Buchholz, Berlin
- Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven
- Lux Interior, Reena Spaulings Fine Art, New York
- Sovereign Women in Painting, Susanne Vielmetter Los Angeles Projects, Los Angeles
- New Yorker Fenster, Galerie Daniel Buchholz, Köln
- No.5, Kunsthall Landmark, Bergen
- JXXXA LEIBHAFTIGE MALEREI, Sutton Lane, Paris
- Touch and Resist, Song Song, Wien
- Galerie Francesca Pia, Zürich
- Anderungen aller Art, Kunsthalle Bern, Bern
- Love In a Void, Akademie der Bildenden Künste, Vienna
- Metalist Moment, Performance, Herald St, London
- Very Lost Highway, Simultanhalle, Köln
- extreme harsh, Ausstellungsraum Ursula Werz, Tübingen
- I Is Had Gone, Thomas Erben Gallery, New York
- Her Noise, South London Gallery, London
- Blankness is not a Void, Standard Oslo, Oslo
- Kim Gordon and Jutta Koether, Talk and Performance at Tate Modern, London
- Curious Crystals of Unusual Purity, P.S.1 Institute for Contemporary Art, New York City
- Fresh Aufhebung - Künstlerisches Interesse am philosophische verneinten Wunderglauben, Kölnischer Kunstverein, Köln
- Galerie Meerrettich, Berlin
- Fresh Aufhebung, 271 Grand Street, New York
- Desire Is War, Galerie Meerrettich, Berlin
- The Club in the Shadow, in collaboration with Kim Gordon, Kenny Schachter conTEMPorary, New York
- Black Bonds, Jutta Koether and Steven Parrino, Swiss Institute, New York
- Galerie Daniel Buchholz, Köln
- Galerie Daniel Buchholz, Köln
- zur grünen schenke-fünf uhr nachmittags. die geheimen Bilder, Galerie Freund, Wien
Brushholder Value, Westfälischer Kunstverein, Münster
Dysfunction USA, Arthur Rogers Gallery, New Orleans
Parralax View: Cologne-New York, P.S. 1 Institute for Contemporary Art, New York
Werkschau Jutta Koether, Kunstraum Stuttgart, Stuttgart
- Jutta Koether: Seasons and Sacraments, 9 February 2013 - 21 April 2013 Archived 25 May 2013 at the Wayback Machine Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee.
- 1954-2012., Kelley, Mike (2005). Interviews, conversations, and chit-chat, 1986-2004. Edited and Introductions by John C. Welchman. Zürich: JRP/Ringier. pp. 95–117. ISBN 3905701006. OCLC 269434700.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Roberta Smith (June 4, 1993), Art Review: Jutta Koether New York Times.
- Jutta Koether – The Thirst, 5 March, 2011 - 24 April, 2011 Archived 2013-12-14 at the Wayback Machine Moderna Museet, Stockholm.
- Holly Myers (August 18, 2006), A message in the starkness Los Angeles Times.
- Gordon, Kim (February 2011). "Jutta Koether: The Inside Job". Flash Art. Retrieved September 7, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Roberta Smith (April 15, 2005), Art in Review; Jutta Koether New York Times.
- William McCollum, ArtNet.com
- Roberta Smith, "Art in Review; Jutta Koether," NY Times
- Joselit, David (2009-10-01). "Painting Beside Itself". October. -: 125–134. doi:10.1162/octo.2009.130.1.125. ISSN 0162-2870. S2CID 57570958.
- Roberta Smith (March 1, 2012). "A Survey of a Different Color 2012 Whitney Biennial". NY Times. Retrieved March 5, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Jutta Koether: Seasons and Sacraments, 4 May 2013 to 7 July 2013 Arnolfini, Bristol.
- Jutta Koether on ArtFacts.Net
- Images, biography and texts from the Saatchi Gallery
- Susanne Vielmetter Los Angeles Projects; Jutta Koether Biographie, Pressemitteilungen und Arbeiten General information on Jutta Koether
- Martin Pesch: Jutta Koether at Galerie Daniel Bucholz (Review)
- Jutta Koether at Campoli Presti