Juwata International Airport
|Juwata International Airport
Bandar Udara Internasional Juwata
|Owner||Government of Indonesia|
|Operator||Ministry of Transportation|
|Location||Tarakan, North Kalimantan, Indonesia|
|Elevation AMSL||20 ft / 6 m|
Juwata International Airport (Indonesian: Bandar Udara Internasional Juwata) (IATA: TRK, ICAO: WAQQ) is an airport in Tarakan, North Kalimantan, Indonesia. It is located on the island of Tarakan which is off the coast of Borneo. The airport was the main Allied objective during the Battle of Tarakan (1945).
Juwata Airport has a runway area of 2,250 x 45 meters, 2 taxiways of area 82 m x 23 m each with another taxiway of area 176.59 m x 23 m connecting to the air force base. The airport have been developed both on the air side and the ground side. On the air side of the apron has been expanded from the original 335 m x 70 m into 335 m x 97 m. While on the land side of the passenger terminal has been greatly expanded into 12 440 m2 from the original 2,532 m2. Vehicle parking facility was also expanded into an area of 14,000 m2 from the original 1000 m2. The capacity of the airport also increased The old terminal was previously only able to serve 600 passengers daily, while the new terminal are able to serve 2,000 passengers daily. The new terminal was officially inaugurated on 23 March 2016 by President Joko Widodo.
The airport is planned to be a transit hub for people from other countries such as Malaysia, Brunei and Philippines who is going to travel to other cities in Indonesia. Juwata Airport is a destination point of the ASEAN Single Aviation Market under Protocol I and II.
During 2010 Tarakan riot, negotiation between communities to end the conflict was held here.
Airlines and destinations
Due to the airport is used both by military and civil aviation, so the apron is also used together. In July 2014, the airport authority initials to build 183 meters taxiway to the military apron which can accommodate 4 Sukhoi and 2 Hercules together and the project is predicted to be finished in December 2014.
- Great Circle Mapper: TRK / WALR - Tarakan, Borneo, Indonesia (Juwata Airport)
- Terminal Baru Bandara Juwata Tarakan Berkapasitas 2.000 Orang Per Hari
- Hari Ini Jokowi Resmikan Bandara Juwata Tarakan
- Bandara Juwata Dipersiapkan Jadi Bandara Transit Internasional
- Fransina (October 11, 2014). "Bangun Taxiway 183 Meter dari Apron Lanud Tarakan".
- Accident history for TRK / WALR - Juwata Airport - Tarakan, Indonesia at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for WALR - Juwata Airport - Tarakan, Indonesia at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.