Early life and education
Yosef was born in Ras al-Ayn, Syria, to a Kurdish Muslim father and an Armenian Christian mother. His family immigrated to Sweden when he was two years old, and later he studied painting in Pernby School of Painting in Stockholm between 2004 and 2006, then moved to Konstfack University College of Arts, Crafts and Design, Stockholm.
Yosef has taken part in a great number of art fairs and group exhibitions. He held two solo exhibitions in 2013 titled Painting about Sex, Flesh and Violence, lol at the DIVUS Gallery in London and High Notes, at the Galleri Anna Thulin, Stockholm. He participated in the Threadneedle Prize exhibition in 2013 and the BEERS Contemporary Award for Emerging Art both in 2013. In 2015 he exhibited at Galleri Bon with group exhibition There and Back Again with fellow Konstfack graduates Josef Bull, Petr Davydtchenko and Natasja Loutchko. He is a founding member and studio holder at The Bomb Factory Art Foundation in Archway, North London.
Yosef is openly gay. In April 2016, during the amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research gala in São Paulo, Brazil, he publicly announced that he had been in a relationship with Puerto Rican singer Ricky Martin. The couple married in 2017. On December 31, 2018, Martin and Yosef announced, via Instagram, the birth of their daughter, Lucia Martin-Yosef. On October 29, 2019, Martin and Yosef announced the birth of their son, Renn Martin-Yosef.
- Beat Magazine: Jwan Yosef – Portraits of Absence Archived 21 November 2016 at the Wayback Machine
- "Kaltblut: Interview with Jwan Yosef". Archived from the original on 10 September 2017. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Anwar, Mo. "Meet Syrian Artist Jwan Yosef: The Millennial Modern Gypsy". Vogue.com. Vogue.
- "U+MAG | A conversation with artist Jwan Yosef". 2 September 2015. Archived from the original on 2 September 2015. Retrieved 18 November 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- C Print: There and Back Again.
- SvD: Spegelvända bilder fångar tystnaden (in Swedish)
- Kunstkritikk (in Norwegian)
- Galleri Bon: Dit och tillbaks igen Archived 31 July 2017 at the Wayback Machine (in Swedish)
- "Artists | Bomb Factory Art Foundation". bombfactory.org.uk. Archived from the original on 2 June 2016. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- ET Online: Ricky Martin Makes Glamorous Red Carpet Debut With New Boyfriend Jwan Yosef
- Paris Match: Ricky Martin officialise avec son petit ami, Jwan Yosef (in French)
- "Instagram". Instagram.
- Martin, Ricky (29 October 2019). "Nuestro hijo Renn Martin-Yosef ha nacido. / Our son Renn Martin-Yosef was born". Ricky Martin verified Instagram account. Retrieved 30 October 2019.
- Goldstein, Joelle (29 October 2019). "Ricky Martin and Husband Jwan Yosef Announce the Birth of Their Fourth Child, Son Renn". People. Retrieved 30 October 2019.