This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Member of Parliament|
May 2009 to May 2014
|Preceded by||Bhawar Singh Dangawas|
|Born||26 July 1972|
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|Spouse(s)||Shri Narender Gehlaut|
|Alma mater||SMS Medical College Jaipur|
Family and early life
Jyoti Mirdha Gehlaut is the daughter of Ram Prakash Mirdha and Veena Mirdha and also the granddaughter of Nathuram Mirdha, a prominent politician.
Jyoti Mirdha represented the Nagaur parliamentary constituency in the 15th Lok Sabha and is a member of the Indian National Congress (INC). She won the seat by a margin of 1.55-lakh votes in 2009. She has had a meaningful impact on several issues as a member of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Health and Family Welfare, and has debated on issues concerning generic drugs, bringing more drugs under the price control regime, low expenditure on research and development by pharmaceutical companies, organ donation legislation, and the HPV vaccine.
Mirdha has urged for stricter controls over the retail prices of pharmaceuticals, saying "Ideally, all 900 or so molecules being marketed should be brought under price control, as partial control will not be effective since manufacturers freely migrate from price-controlled drugs to those outside price control."
In 2010, Mirdha also expressed concern that doctors were being bribed by pharmaceutical companies with gifts and travel. She sent evidence to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh claiming that up to 11 doctors and 30 of their family members were being reimbursed by pharmaceutical companies for summer travel to countries like England and Scotland. In her letter, she cited a loophole in a law intended to prevent doctors from accepting favours from pharmaceutical companies, which did not prevent the companies from offering these gifts.
Positions held in parliament
- 2009 Elected to 15th Lok Sabha
- 31 August 2009 Member, Committee on Health and Family Welfare till 31 August 2012
- 23 September 2009 Member, Committee on Empowerment of Women till 31 August 2012
- 31 August 2012 Member, Committee on Agriculture till 30 April 2014
- Ex Member, Institute Body, AIIMS, New Delhi
- Singh, Khomba (19 May 2012). "NGOs, MP Jyoti Mirdha demand wider drugs under price control". The Economic Times. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016.
- "MP joins drug price chorus". The Telegraph. 18 May 2012. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- Das, Soma (19 May 2012). "Bring all drugs under essential list, Mirdha tells GoM". The Indian Express. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- Ghildiyal, Subodh (9 July 2012). "Code to bar pharma industry from luring doctors with gifts". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 July 2018.