|Initial release||January 17, 2001|
2.7.0 / May 2, 2015
|Written in||Python and Java|
|Platform||Java Virtual Machine|
|Type||Python Programming Language Interpreter|
|License||Python Software Foundation License (for older releases see License terms)|
Jython programs can import and use any Java class. Except for some standard modules, Jython programs use Java classes instead of Python modules. Jython includes almost all of the modules in the standard Python programming language distribution, lacking only some of the modules implemented originally in C. For example, a user interface in Jython could be written with Swing, AWT or SWT. Jython compiles to Java bytecode (intermediate language) either on demand or statically.
Jython was initially created in late 1997 to replace C with Java for performance-intensive code accessed by Python programs, moving to SourceForge in October 2000. The Python Software Foundation awarded a grant in January 2005. Jython 2.5 was released in June 2009.
Status and roadmap
The most recent release is Jython 2.7.0. It was released on 2 May 2015 and is compatible with Python 2.7.
From version 2.2 on, Jython (including the standard library) is released under the Python Software Foundation License (v2). Older versions are covered by the Jython 2.0, 2.1 license and the JPython 1.1.x Software License.
The command line interpreter is available under the Apache Software License.
- JBoss – Application Server's CLI (command line interface) scripting using Jython
- wlst - Oracle Weblogic Server Application Server tool scripting using Jython
- wsadmin – IBM WebSphere Application Server tool scripting using Jython
- ZK – a Java Ajax framework that allows glue logic written in Jython
- DMelt – a Java framework for numerical and statistical calculations with 2D/3D math visualization (graphs, charts, histograms)
- List of Java scripting languages
- IronPython – an implementation of Python for .NET and Mono
- PyPy – a self-hosting interpreter for the Python programming language.
- Wierzbicki, Frank (2015-03-22). "jython: 3d8067c56a1d NEWS". Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- Wierzbicki, Frank (2015-05-03). "Jython 2.7.0 final released!". Python-announce-list (Mailing list). Retrieved 2015-05-03.
- "JythonFaq/GeneralInfo - JythonWiki". 2014-04-03. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- Wierzbicki, Frank (2009-06-16). "Jython 2.5.0 Final is out!". Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- Jython 2.7 beta2 released! 
- "JythonFaq". Jython's project. Retrieved 2009-07-05.
- "Differences between CPython and Jython". Jython's project. Retrieved 2009-07-05.
- "The Jython License". Jython's project. Retrieved 2008-02-09.