K&N Engineering, Inc. (also known simply as "K&N") is a manufacturer of air filters, cold air intake systems, oil filters, performance parts, and other related products. K&N manufactures over 12,000 parts for various makes and models of cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, ATVs, industrial applications and more. Founded in 1969, K&N is headquartered in Riverside, California, in a complex of 10 buildings comprising nearly 400,000 square feet. K&N also operates facilities in England, the Netherlands, and China.
K&N was founded by Ken Johnson and Norm McDonald in 1969. The name K&N came from the first letters in the founders' first names. Johnson and McDonald sold motorcycles and motorcycle parts and supported a K&N factory race team. Air filters soon became the primary focus of the company. In the late 1980s, K&N introduced a bolt-on air intake kit to replace the factory air box and air filter. K&N also released a line of oil filters with a stamped hex to accept a standard wrench for installation and removal. K&N has maintained very active involvement in racing and motorsports throughout its history, including the NASCAR Pro Series East and West, and the King of the West 410 Sprint Car Series.
In February 2002, K&N entered the 24 Hours of Daytona race where up-and-coming driver, Joey Scarallo, was invited to be a driver.
K&N's claims for their air filters have been the subject of some controversy, with 3rd-party tests finding that K&N's cotton gauze filters are less efficient and let more dirt into the engine than factory-equipment paper filters, and that they become increasingly restrictive as they are coated with particulates.
- "Company Overview of K&N Engineering, In". Bloomberg Business Week. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- Administrator, Spirit. "LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AND MASTER ENTREPRENEUR HONORS TO BE PRESENTED AT THE 2012 SPIRIT OF THE ENTREPRENEUR GALA!". Spirit Awards IE. Spirit News. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- Diaconu, Cristina. "K&N Engineering Enters China E-Commerce Market". Manufacturing and Engineering Magazine. Manufacturing and Engineering Magazine. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- NASCAR K&N Pro Series East
- Dirt Racing Report, 14 March 2013 Archived 10 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- Spicer, A (2008). "Comparative ISO 5011 Efficacy Tests of Nine Automotive Engine Air Filters". Testand Corporation.
|This article related to a manufacturing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|