Kʼinich Ahkal Moʼ Nahb III
|Kʼinich Ahkal Moʼ Nahb III|
|Ajaw of Palenque|
Kʼinich Ahkal Moʼ Nahb III on tablet from Temple XIX with two kneeling nobles
|Reign||30 December 721 – c.736|
|Born||13 September 678|
|Wife||Lady Men Nik|
|Issue||Kʼinich Kʼukʼ Bahlam II|
|Father||Tiwol Chan Mat|
Kʼinich Ahkal Moʼ Nahb III[N 1] also known as Chaacal III and Akul Anab III, (13 September 678–c.736), was an ajaw of the Maya city of Palenque. He took the throne on 30 December 721, reigning until c.736.[N 2]
Ahkal Moʼ Nahb was born to nobleman Tiwol Chan Mat and Lady Kinuw, his probably brother was Kʼinich Janaab Pakal II. He was married to Lady Men Nik and was succeeded by his son ajaw Kʼinich Kʼukʼ Bahlam II. Ahkal Moʼ Nahb III was born in 678, during the reign of his grandfather, Palenque's long-lived ruler Kʼinich Janaab Pakal I, often referred to as "Pakal the Great", because this ruler righted a kingdom that had been destabilized by enemy attacks and oversaw a building program that culminated in the Temple of the Inscriptions. His construction program rivaled that of his predecessors, in the newly discovered inscriptions of Temple XIX he contributed enormously to the surviving records of Palenque history. The monuments and text associated with Ahkal Moʼ Nahb III are: Temple XVIII texts, Temple XIX bench and texts, Temple XXI texts, Tablets of the Orator and Scribe, Bundle Panel and House E Painted text?.
- The ruler's name, when transcribed is KʼINICH-AHK-AL MOʼ[NAHB], translated "Radiant Turtle Macaw Lake?".
- These are the dates indicated on the Maya inscriptions in Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, Born: 188.8.131.52.8 3 Lamat 6 Sak and Acceded: 184.108.40.206.2 9 Ikʼ 5 Kayab.
- Skidmore, Joel (2010). The Rulers of Palenque (PDF) (Fifth ed.). Mesoweb Publications. p. 80. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Skidmore, Joel (2010). The Rulers of Palenque (PDF) (Fifth ed.). Mesoweb Publications. pp. 80–82. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Martin, Simon; Nikolai Grube (2008). Chronicle of the Maya Kings and Queens: Deciphering the Dynasties of the Ancient Maya (2nd ed.). London and New York: Thames & Hudson. p. 175. ISBN 9780500287262. OCLC 191753193.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to K'inich Ahkal Mo' Naab' III.|
Kʼinich Kʼan Joy Chitam II
| Ajaw of Palenque
30 December 721 – c.736
Kʼinich Janaab Pakal II