Kép Air Base
|Kép Air Base|
|Part of Vietnam People's Air Force|
A USAF RF-101C overflies Kep in 1966
|Type||Air Force Base|
|Controlled by||Vietnam People's Air Force|
A September 1965 CIA intelligence briefing stated that Kép airfield had been extensively improved with the runway lengthened to 6000 ft allowing for jet fighter operations and photo-reconnaissance indicated that 8 aircraft, identified as MiG-15s or MiG-17s were at the airfield. In April 1966 the CIA concluded that a small number of MiG-21s had possibly deployed to Kép from Phúc Yên Air Base.
The VPAF 927th Fighter Regiment operating MiG-21s and Su-30MK2s is based at Kép.
- "Weekly Report the situation in South Vietnam" (PDF). Central Intelligence Agency. 22 September 1965. p. 12. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Implications of the recent jet fighter clashes over North Vietnam" (PDF). Central Intelligence Agency. 1966. p. 5. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- Nichols, John (1987). On Yankee Station: The Naval Air War Over Vietnam. United States Naval Institute. p. 155. ISBN 978-0-87021-559-9.
- Grossnick, R (1997). United States Naval Aviation, 1910–1995. Naval Historical Center. ISBN 0-16-049124-X.
- "North Korean Pilots in the Skies over Vietnam" (PDF). Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars. November 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2015.