The river near Male Pijace
|Native name||(Hungarian: Körös-ér)|
(Serbian: Кереш, romanized: Kereš)
|⁃ location||west of Jánoshalma, south Hungary|
|⁃ elevation||138 m (453 ft)|
|Tisa river at Adorjan, Vojvodina, Serbia|
|76 m (249 ft)|
|Length||90 km (56 mi)|
|Basin size||976 km2 (377 sq mi)|
|Progression||Tisza→ Danube→ Black Sea|
The Körös-ér (Hungarian, also Kőrös-patak) or Kereš (Serbian: Кереш), is a river in southern Hungary and northern Serbia, a 90 km long right tributary to the Tisa river. It flows entirely within the Bačka region of both Hungary and Serbia (Vojvodina): 37 km in Hungary, 15 km as a border river and 29 km in Serbia (roughly, as different authors give different data).
The Körös-ér springs in the Hungarian part of the Subotička Peščara, between the towns of Jánoshalma and Kiskunhalas. It flows to the southeast, more as a series of connected bogs and less as a real river, without almost any settlements on its banks. West of the village of Kelebia, the Körös-ér becomes a border river between Hungary and Serbia.
The Körös-ér flows on the northern border of Subotica proper, close to its neighboring settlements (most notably, Šupljak) and the Ludoš lake. After the villages of Male Pijace and Velebit, it turns east north of the village of Senćanski Trešnjevac and empties into the Tisa at Adorjan, at an altitude of 76 m (249 ft). Near the village of Velebit, Kereš flows through the marshy area of Kapetanski Rit.
For some time the municipal government of Kanjiža (to which the mouth of the river belongs) protests about the extreme pollution of the Kereš's water, as it represents the single largest polluter of the Tisa river. Local politicians point at the city government of Subotica, which dumps its waste into the river, as the major culprit for such a bad condition of the river.
The river is neither channeled nor navigable. It is also called Kőrös or Kireš by the local population.
- "Vode Vojvodine - Natural watercourses" (in Serbian). Vode Vojvodine. 2017.
- Lajos Hovány (1998): A palicsi fürdő és a Böge-csatorna. Grafoprodukt, Subotica – ISBN 86-83135-01-2, p. 47 ‹See Tfd›(in Hungarian)
- Lajos Hovány (2002): Vizeink nyomában: különös tekintettel Északkelet-Bácskára. Grafoprodukt, Szabadka – ISBN 86-83135-10-1, p. 92 ‹See Tfd›(in Hungarian)
- "Vode Vojvodine - Prirodni vodotoci" (in Serbian). Vode Vojvodine. 2017.
- "Dunav-Tisa-Dunav Subotica - Referenc lista izvedenih radova" (in Serbian). 2014.
- Branislav Bukurov (1983): Subotica i njena okolina. Vojvođanska akademija nauka i umetnosti. Odeljenje društvenih nauka i umetnosti, Novi Sad ‹See Tfd›(in Serbian)
- E.g. Božinović, M. & Navratil, Z. (1988): Analiza hidrološkog režima i kvaliteta voda Kereša sa gledišta revitalizacije Ludoškog jezera – Zaštita voda '88 (Dojran), Beograd, pp. 278-287 ‹See Tfd›(in Serbian)